Creating hole patterns in DXF format?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Creating hole patterns in DXF format?

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi Everyone,

I have a job in that requires alot of roll out's in the cabinetry. The drawer slides will be the accuride 9308's . The hole pattern will be created and associated with a peice of hardware that we will never use and it's identity logged in our hole pattern note book we keep when we do this. (anyone think that blank peices of hardware that could be labeled and associated would be a good idea?)
Since so many manafacturers are getting smart and putting their hole pattern DXF's online to download,an
enormous time saver would be if the DXF file
could somehow be brought into the hole pattern editor. We all know that time is money and why re-invent the DXF and allow another oppertunity for error? I've searched for older threads dealing with the topic and haven't found any that address this issue.
We run a lot of dummy "dont run" labeled drawers to get the associated hole patterns onto the cabinet. The "roll out" piece is then run as a seperate cabinet, complete with all the modifications from a simple scoop in the cabinet deck (drawer box front) to more drawers being added or shelves etc... and get's placed into the first cabinet as a drawer. The first cabinet got the hole pattern milled out and the "don't run" drawer boxes are never run, of course.

Just trying to think of a way to speed up the design time. It seems like it would be a big benefit to be able to load the DXF geometry from manafacturer into a cad program, saved off as DXF, and then loaded into hole pattern editor. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated.

Tim
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Creating hole patterns in DXF format?

Post by George Davidson »

Hi Tim
I am Big on making DXF for all my cabinets
Attachments
Base Cab Left_23 x 36_Side.JPG
Base Cab Left_23 x 36_Side.JPG (53.4 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
dxf 2.jpg
dxf 2.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
dxf 3.jpg
dxf 3.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Tim, I believe the pattern system is going to get a revamp in the new version because of the store closing. Hopefully it will be as easy as bringing in a DXF. Maybe Dan has a way of changing a DXF to a PTN file. :?:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Rick Palechuk wrote:...Maybe Dan has a way of changing a DXF to a PTN file. :?:
And with a wave of his wand, he says...nope. :joker:

According to Ken, the whole method of how hardware is handled is going to change in version 6.