Part editor cut for butt hinge

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Part editor cut for butt hinge

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi all,
Hopefully someone can help me here. I am working on machining some house doors on our CNC, I have drawn them up in eCabs so I can use the part editor to machine the rebate for the butt hinges. I dont have a problem drawing the rebate but in the bottom corners of the rebates I need a 10mm radius, just wondering if someone could tell me how to achieve this? I can't draw anything in profile modeller because out machine needs an upgrade to make it compatibile so if anyone else has a tip for me it would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering if an AFL program would be better suited for this as the doors are all pre made prior to me machining them. Unfortunately I don't have any AFL or G Code experience!
Any advise or tips would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Paul
Standard.hsf
(158.02 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Attachments
Standard.jpg
Standard.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Re: Part editor cut for butt hinge

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Paul

cant you use the fillet mode in PE? That adds radius to square corners.

P.s! U still got da same number? I txt it and dont hear back!

How are ya anyway?

Cheers

Thom Davies
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Thom,
Thanks for the tip but the part I need to fillet is on the edge of the door and you can only fillet on the front or back from memory??
Sorry I haven't been texting you back, i have been really flat out when I get your texts then I forget to reply lol.
How is everything with you? Things here are going pretty well but has been REALLY busy. Not complaining with the way the market has been for alot of people though!
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

If its on the edge of the door not on the jamb u need the Hoz cutter attament. Bout NZ $40,000 When i looked into it.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Thom,
thanks for that. I think I have actually worked out that this can't be done in eCabinets at all because the doors are all pre made and cut to size. If I put them on the router just for operation purposes using control nesting it automatically allows for an outline cut aswell. Unless I can somehow tell eCabinets that all operations are on the back of the door so it thinks its a flip operation I dont think it will work. I have tried a couple of things and short of telling the machine there is a face operation it could be a little tricky. I'm thinking I might have a write a manual program for this but I wouldn't have a clue where to start! I haven't done any manual programming in the past so it will be a big learning curve and I need to have a door ready to cut for Monday next week. Well it looks like its time for me to start learning :)
Sean O' Hare

Post by Sean O' Hare »

Paul,

there's a tick box on the settings screen lets you disable outline cuts. Does that help?

Sean
sean
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Paul,I would venture to say that it could probably be programmed with AFL and/or straight out G code. AFL would possibly let you parametrically enter your door size and adjust the depth of cut as well as radius compensation.

$40,000. Wow! I don't know what your margins are, but you could contact or Programming Support Section and I would think that they could come up with something for you. I don't know how busy they are so don't know if they can get you something working by next Monday, but you can ask. Contact them via email: support@thermwood.com. You should probably send a fairly detailed document of what you want, pictures work best, words can be miscommunicated, specially since your upside down! Ryan Hochgsang would be a point of contact if you decide to call. I'm sure we'd be glad to do it for slightly less money.

Dennis
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

HI Dennis,
Thank you very much for that, i'll flick them an upside down email as soon as i've made my morning cuppa coffee!
I'm thinking straight G code will work best for the first one as it's for a standard sized door. Doing it as AFL would mean I would have to re-enter information every time I run the program but I will look at AFL further down the track for different door sizes that may come up.
Thanks again Dennis!
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Sorry Sean, I forgot to reply to your message!
I did try ticking the no outlines box in settings but it seems that it still allows for an outline cut in the sizes etc. Rather odd actually, I would have thought selecting no outline would take everything to do with the outline cut out of the program but it seems not.
Thanks anyway!