Using Stretchers to Place Drawers

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Using Stretchers to Place Drawers

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Is there a way to make this work?

I'd resorted to using modified fixed shelves for this, as I couldn't get the drawer/door editor to recognize the stretchers I was placing. I'm now finding that this ends up getting fairly involved when I want to use blind dado construction for these pieces.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Using Stretchers to Place Drawers

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Set your back inset in Construction Settings before you place the fixed shelves. Your Blind Dado should still work properly.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I considered doing that, but wouldn't the depth of the fixed shelf change as you changed the depth of the cabinet? I'd like it to cut all the stretchers the same size, each time.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Nat,

Once you create the seed cabinets, modifying them should be relatively simple. When you chance the depth of these cabinets, you can highlight all the fixed shelves (that have a back inset) go to construction settings and change the back inset to make them the size you wish.

-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nat,

Th only way I can see doing it is to place the fixed shelf using a Do Not Cut material with no construction to place the drawers then place a stretcher with your construction you want in the exact same place with the shelf. You can then either ignore the no cut material or filter the shelves when you nest.

Kerry
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You could just make a new seed with each new depth. Are you cutting the rails on your machine?
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Back in August of 2006(Drawer base spreaders), I made the following suggestion:
#3. Create a \"DRAWER STRETCHER\" and \"PARTITION STRETCHER\". These would be added to the Shelf/Partition Editor as additional Shelf and Partitiion options. The Drawer Stretcher would be based internally on a \"Fixed Shelf\" but with a \"fixed depth\" parameter in lieu of the Back Inset. The same parameter variation would apply to the Partition Stretcher. Again, as in #2, the new stretchers as they are.

------

I myself would probably prefer #3 as it provides a fairly straightforward approach and ease of use for these very common cabinet features (Drawer Stretchers and \"Shortened\" Partitions). The new Stretcher feature can then be used, as is, for the more specialized applications. (** This way, these DRAWER STRETCHERS and PARTITION STRETCHERS additions would be able to go to the Part Editior and be Edgebanded since there are just basically Fixed Shelves and Partitions! <smile>)
:
Since we are adding to the Shelf/Partition Editor anyway <wink & big smile>, what about including a Horizontal and Vertical DIVIDER? These would not have a material or thickness associated to them, but would be used to define an \"opening\" and would then provide a boundry or boundries for subsequently added doors and drawers.

It also would be great if we had the ability to LOCK an \"opening\" or \"openings\" created by shelves/partitions/dividors. (An internal check would be required to ensure that not ALL horizontal nor vertical openings were locked by the user.)
Maybe v6 or v7..?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Yes, it certainly would be nice if we could do part editing on drawer boxes. As a temporary solution you might try this cumbersome idea. Create your cabinets with simple standard drawer boxes using a "Do NOT Cut" material. Create a custom drawer box out of a standard frameless cabinet box. Using this you can do all the part editing you like - anywhere you like. Just consider the cabinet to be a drawer box that is standing on the front end. Rotate it so it makes sense.

After you layout a job with your cabinets you will have a list of all of the sizes you need. Now, I haven't tried this trick yet, but you can put the cutlist into Excel, and then setup a macro to sort the drawer box info in the format that the Batch Cabinets Editor likes to import using the name and directory of your "drawer box" cabinet. You can find info on this in the help menus.

Hey, it might work... Is drawer box part editing in Version 6?

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

One problem with that Joe...dovetails. Lets just hope for drawerbox edits in v6. :wink: