Help Adding New Hardware

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ernest Myers
Company Name: E Designs

Help Adding New Hardware

Post by Ernest Myers »

Hello,
I need to be able to install hardware that is not in the hardware database. For example, I have a Titus adjustable foot that I regularly use on all of my base cabinetry.
The Hardware Hole Editor gives me a limited number of vendors to select from.
Is there a way I can develop my own library that hardware hole patters can be associated with?

Thanks,
Ernest Myers
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Help Adding New Hardware

Post by DanEpps »

If you search the forum for "hardware" you will find this has been discussed some 15 zillion times...well, maybe not quite that many. :wink:

The short answer is that you cannot add hardware...in version 5.x. The good news is that version 6 might support user-defined hardware. You can create hole patterns and associate them with any existing hardware for machining purposes, but the correct hardware will not be displayed for presentation purposes.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

In Versions 5 and moving on to Version 6, the hardware hole patterns are only applied to doors hinges, hinge mounts, drawer guides, and kd/rta fasteners. Thus based on the original question, with Version 6 you would still not be able to have a pattern automatically applied for Titus adjustable foot or door/drawer pulls. Depending upon your construction methods, it is sometimes possible to trick the system and many have by creating a hole pattern for the kd/rta fastner.

Probably the easiest method is to create your pattern in the Shape Manager and save that pattern as an .x_t file or using a CAD system create a dxf file. You can then select the deck and apply the hole pattern for the Titus foot. The hole pattern can be restricted in the Constraint Manager to the required position. Once you've applied the hole pattern or patterns, you can save the cabinet, resize it, and save it again and again at the various size combinations that you may need for your library. The whole process goes pretty quickly, so while not automatically applied as you've asked it is still easily doable and pretty flexible. This way you don't have to trick the system and you can have a blind or full dado on an edge and still apply a hole pattern.

With Version 6 you will no longer have to associate a hole pattern with any of these components and you can have a hole pattern applied without specifying the actual hardware.

Another key feature in Version 6 or at least I think it is, if you use the Part Editor and make a cut that intrudes into a construction method, eCabinets shouldn't squawk about it anymore or have any other difficulties (or at least foreseen).

Dennis
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Ahhh...thanks for the bailout Dennis! I didn't notice the specific question about a hole pattern for a foot. :oops: Gotta stop posting before I've had a gallon of coffee.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

So Dennis how is the beta version of version 6 going?
Mine is working really well.
Ah got ya. I haven't got it yet and the suspense is killing me.
Come on Jason, what's the release date?

Regards
Neville
Neville Australia