What the hell happened to my SIX KITCHENS!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Gooch
Guru Member

What the hell happened to my SIX KITCHENS!

Post by Jason Gooch »

Sorry if this comes off rough - I've spent two weeks putting together six kitchens for a condo development, of course all six are different. Yesterday I was putting finishing touches on them, dimensioning drawings and blah blah. Today I come in and none of them will open. They all start to load, then it goes back to either the front page (with a menu of options) or just a blank field. I can attempt to reopen another job at that point, or just scream at the monitor.

The one thing that I've noticed as weird lately is a generic edgebanding that keeps asking to be replaced. I have ZERO generic edgebanding in this job or the seed cabinets. This began happening when I downloaded some of the free design libraries to look at. I did not incorporate any of those cabinets in any jobs, just looked at them and closed them. Now I open a job and it asks to replace "generic" edgebanding (with a thickness of 3.175). I have never used an edgebanding of 3.175mm. I suppose I should have figured out earlier how to get rid of that, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

What the hell is happening and how can I get my life back.

Thanks - Jason
Applebox Cabinetry and Furniture
www.appleboxwood.com
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Re: What the hell happened to my SIX KITCHENS!

Post by Jason Gooch »

UPDATE: In fact, I can't open any jobs. Help.
www.appleboxwood.com
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Can you post a job file you are having trouble with?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Thanks for the response - here's one of the files.

Fyi, I'm running XP, latest version of the software. I can see the files where they're saved, they still seem to be large enough (11,565KB) that the info is there.
www.appleboxwood.com
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

I think somehow this is related to the Generic edgebanding that was associated with the design library. I've tried opening older jobs, which also have absolutely no generic edgebanding or 3.175mm edgebanding - each one starts with the "material not found" window, and asks to add the new material. I created another edgebanding of the same thickness, when I select "replace with this material" ecabs just shuts down.

There is another edgebanding that was imported with one the libraries, called "washington cherry", which I can use to replace the generic - same material thickness. However it randomly replaced edgebanding on doors, which would make the doors too small when cut.
www.appleboxwood.com
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Hi Jason. I am sorry to report that your data is missing and cannot be retrieved from this file. We are unaware of how or why this has occurred. At this point, without having a means of reproducing the problem, we can only speculate on what may have happened. I'm guessing that this job was a substantial size. By size I am referring to large dataset objects. If this is the case there is a chance that an out of memory error occurred but the operating system did not cause the halt of any further operations to occur. The data that is in your file is only a subset of the whole job. All graphical and user data has been lost. We do have a strategy in place for the next version of eCabinet Systems that should fix this type of thing from happening. Unfortunately this is all speculation. If this is truly the problem that occurred we would have expected an out of memory error to have occurred to stop the saving process. For future use our recommendation is that jobs are saved as new names as you progress. This way you will always have a version of the job to fall back on if your system fails to save properly.

Again we are very sorry this has occurred. If you or anyone has a means of reproducing this problem we would greatly appreciate being informed. Our hope is that our new strategy in the next version of eCabinet Systems will eliminate this from occurring.
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hi Larry - someone needs to call me please. I'd like to work a little harder at saving all this fricking labor before starting over. I sent a request to your feedback section on ecabs, please call me back.

P.S. I can't start rebuilding this crap without some security that this won't happen again. Every time I open a job it asks me about that generic edgebanding. How can I know I won't get to the end of another giant goddamn job and it explodes again?
www.appleboxwood.com
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Here's another job. Number 5 of six. Please check it out as well, and call me asap. thanks jason
www.appleboxwood.com
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Jason I can open job 5 but not the first job
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hi George - thanks for looking at this. Things are acting differently now. Previously I couldn't open anything - after the first file disappeared, anything else I opened would just result in a blank job, as I mentioned before. I shut down, restarted the computer - same thing. Now, I'm back to where I was yesterday, except the first job is definitely vaporized.

I'm still having the problem with the "generic" edgebanding, when I open these files it asks to replace the material. when i look at the cut list (after accepting the replacement banding), there is no generic edgebanding anywhere. One of the files, however, has randomly replaced some door edgebanding with the banding material i selected to replace the "generic" stuff - washington cherry.

Are you experiencing this when you open the file, or do you have any suggestions for dealing with it? I don't know if it's linked to the file blowing up, but it worries me - I don't know if I can trust that everything will cut properly on these jobs, if there's 1/8" thick edgebanding hidden somewhere.

I can't upload another file for some reason - can i send you one directly?
www.appleboxwood.com
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Jason,

I don't know if this will work but try restoring your system to Tuesday June 23, 2009 and see if the file will open.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Jason,

Sorry for your aggravation. I can help you with your missing material dialog coming up. however, I will need to know a little more from you. Since we have a time zone differance, please give me a call when you are ready and we will work through it. 877-880-4638 ask for Scott
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Hey Scott,

What is the reason that the thickness is not variable (it's grayed out) in the missing material dialog?

Thanks,

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Joe,

This is to prevent multiple thicknesses for the same material name to exist in the same job(s), cab(s). If you save a cabinet or job with a material named MyMaterial and have it set to a thickness of .5", then close the cab or job, Change the thickness in the database to .75", then reload the job, it will prompt you with the missing materials dialog. You will have to add it to your database as the same name and overwrite the thickness or add it with a new name. This prevents the duplicate thickness for the same material. If I send you a cabinet with a material name that you use, and the thicknesses do not match, we have to do something about that. This is why.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hey everyone - just wanted to follow up by saying thanks to Larry, George and Scott for helping me out. One job was definitely toast, but Scott walked me through some e-forensics on the phone to discover what was going on with the other five. They're ok, thanks very much, and I can rebuild the first one pretty quickly. In addition, I have a better understanding of the "replacement materials" issues, so hopefully this can be avoided in future.

Thanks again, you guys are doing good work - Jason
www.appleboxwood.com