Drawer Front Heights Changing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Drawer Front Heights Changing

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Often, when I go in to edit something on a drawer front, not related to the height, the height of the drawer front ends up changing. On the attached cabinet, the drawer front was originally set up at 157mm (appox. 6 3/16" tall) and has since changed. I can't figure out how to get it back to the original size, and would rather not delete/redo it, as it has machining on the backside (this has happened on a number of cabinets. Anyone know why the height changes, and how I can get it back to the original size? Thanks.
14.hsf
(866.02 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Drawer Front Heights Changing

Post by Nat Wheatley »

There are several fixed shelves in the drawer opening (parts for my drawer system). I'm sure these are further complicating things. Is there a way to get the drawer front to disreguard these? Something along the lines of setting them back from the front edge...?

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

What are you changing that causes the height to change?

If you can post step-by-step how you built this cabinet it would be a great help in determining what caused the change.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Also, you said it has machining on the back side...where is it? The cabinet you posted has no machining on the drawer front.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nat,

I would use stretchers instead of Fixed Shelves to make the bracing. (stretchers won't affect the opening for the drawer) I would also use a drawer for your drawer. (remove everything but the bottom and sides and use a material listed as no cut that is the thickness of your full dado in the bottom to create the full dado joinery. You will have to use negative insets on the bottom to place the full dado then use counter acting insets on your drawer when placing it in the cabinet to get the correct size. I think in Version 6 that there will be the ability to take drawer box parts to the part editor making this easier.)
Kerry
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks for the replies.

I've had this happen on several cabinets, most recently one with no stretchers or fixed shelves. I selected the one opening of the cabinet, chose a 6mm top reveal, entered the drawer front height, chose to adjust bottom, and go the correct drawer front size. When I went back in to change the directon of the grain on the drawer front (double checking that my reveals were as originally entered) it shortened the height of the drawer front by what looked like about 1". Not clear on why it does this.

On the cabinet that originally posted, I tried to get the drawer front back to the original size by changing the reveals several times, which I'm guessing deleted the machining on the back side of the drawer front.

Although I'd like to, I don't know that I can use a drawer box here. One of the fixed shelves serves as the back of the drawer, and has several 10mm holes drilled into it.

Thanks again for the input. I'll keep an eye on the changing drawer front sizes and see if I can dig up any more clues...

Nat

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Nat,

I understand what you are doing now. You are correct that the drawer or stretchers won't work because you need to drill holes. If they do get the ability to take drawer parts into the part editor this will make this easier for you.

I am thinking that the problem with the changing drawer front height is due to the addition of those fixed shelves and it is reading the reveals wrong because of them. You might try adjusting grain direction in a cabinet without the added fixed shelves and see if it still changes the height.

If you can get the programmers steps to reproduce this problem they can fix it.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Nat,

Just had a thought,
Use Adjustable shelves to create your drawer parts instead of Fixed shelves.
The adjustable shelves don't define openings for doors or drawers.

Kerry
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks Kerry, I'll try that. (I would guess that that 's the answer).