Hobbies and other interests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

It’s been a while since anyone has posted this thread & there a lot of new members here that might share there interests as well. I have been absent from the forum for a while do to a heavy work load and my current project for 2008. In April of this year, I Chaired a Hydroplane race in Lake Wales Florida, the race went off without a hitch, being a successful event I was approached by an individual who asked if I would do a World Championships. I was stunned, but accepted the task. As of yesterday we now have a location for this race, Tampa Fl. We will have teams from all over the world attending; this is the first time 3 international (UIM) & 2 national (APBA) classes will battle it out for there championships in one place at one time. I was promised a ride in one of these boats back in April & a few weeks ago I got! First, it’s a whole different animal than Offshore boats. The acceleration of this boat was truly amazing; when this boat came up on plan it was like a dragster coming off the line. I now understand why they race these machines. There is a video link on the main page of my raceforthekids site. Here a couple of pics of the boat as well. As you can see a very tight cockpit.
Mike
Attachments
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0005.JPG (54.11 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0002.JPG (57.45 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
PICT0017.JPG
PICT0017.JPG (79.93 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
We love what we do, we do it well.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Nice thread.
I don't know how to break this to all of you guys ......but, my hobby is what I'm doing now with cabinets and I get paid for it. I am retired (not hardly) and have had my fun with rebuilding sports cars, etc. (Jag XK-140 and Austin Healeys). Now I just head out to my shop and build stuff that makes folks happy (including me). After that, comes wilderness hiking and translating Egyptian Hieroglyphs while exploring Egypt.
Past lives:
Chief Engineer Motown Record Corp. (early stuff) (Kerry, take note)
Chief Engineer Artie Fields Productions
Engineer, WXYZ, WEZE, WJLB
Fabrication Engineer - Systems for the Performing Arts (2 Companies)
Commercial Theater Sound and lighting
Owner:
General Audio Co.
Communications Equip. Corp
Business Communication Service (Long Distance tel co.)
Madison Credit & Collections
Mirage Webcrafters
Director, Mergers & Acquisitions, TeleConnect Corp.
Consultant - Corporate Turnarounds
Public Member, Wis. Legislative Committee - Utility Regulation Matters
Rogue pilot: 172, Piper Archer, Bonanza, King Air
And a bunch of stuff I can't remember. I used to oil paint, and sculpt but use those efforts on wood now.
Whew, I'm tired now. Back to the shop.
regards,
Attachments
Austin Healy.jpg
Austin Healy.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
Piper Archer.jpg
Piper Archer.jpg (31.53 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
Desert Safari.jpg
Desert Safari.jpg (109.89 KiB) Viewed 8146 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

With a resume like Peter, it looks like you just can't hold a job... :joker:

Seriously, some pretty impressive stuff there.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Geeze Peter, get a life! :wink:

You HAVE scheduled time in there somewhere to breathe, right?

I'm impressed. Please tell me that all those accomplishments were made possible by building cabinetry...
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

I love the Jag.....
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

OK guys,
Yeah, I've been busy. Each item actually represented something that I was interested in and wanted to do. You do the best you can and then move up to the next thing, hopefully increasing your income as you go. I am a firm believer in the premise that you can do anything you want to if you want to do it enough (leaving out brain surgery).
I know there are guys out there building cabinets who wished they were an Architect or an engineer. What are you waiting for?
Anyway, I had a lot of fun. An interesting side note: I attended Boston Technical High School where they taught me all the stuff I am now using. Took me a while to get here, but the education was solid and I think my shop teachers would be pleased to know I'm using it all.
I now do what I like, who knows what will come next year?

Here's a couple of more pix on one of our trips to Egypt studying antiquities including one night my wife and I attended a party(I know some of you guys won't believe this, but the gal in the dancer outfit is actually my wife. Eat your hearts out).
he he he he
regards,
Attachments
In Mufti.jpg
In Mufti.jpg (136.56 KiB) Viewed 8123 times
Tut.jpg
Tut.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

A young lady that works for my wife goes to Egypt every year and catalogs the findings of Dr. Zahi Hawass, Egypt’s secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities

She participated in the \"Seven Coffins\" find shown on Discovery Channel in 2006. That dig led to the discovery of KV63, the first tomb discovered in the Valley of the Kings in more than 80 years. KV63 held the remains of what is believed to be the mother of King Tutankhamun.

I only wish I could go on one of those digs. :cry:
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Dan,
The digs have become quite difficult to take part in. Zahi changed the rules so that only educational institutions can receive a permit to excavate. \"Indiana Jones\" types (that'd be you and me) are no longer permitted to dig. There are some ways around this, but the best way for Americans is to volunteer to some College that has a concession to dig. Since so many students vie for those spots it is difficult but not impossible if you pay all your own expenses.
You can visit some digging sites with advance arrangements with the concessionaire but it is expected that you have \"sweetened\" the finances of the project to have good access.

On the other hand, many, many sites are already excavated but closed to the public. By writing to the antiquities dept. (way in advance) they frequently grant access to these sites when accompanied by an Egyptian guide they know or an antiquities official. They can be very accommodating.

We visited the tomb of Nefertari which already had a daily limitation on visitors on our last trip and shortly after, it was closed for extended \"recovery\" from moisture, etc. To have access now privately will run you about $4,200.00!

'Course, with your \"in-house\" connection you should be able to enjoy a very nice trip.

Ah, for the old days.
regards,
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Peter Walsh wrote:...Ah, for the old days...
The good ol' days, for sure, Peter!

I had not seen this thread, so I am glad that it was revived 8) .

My wife and I had a chance to visit the Seychelles in 2002 - had a terrific time in a remote part of our small world:

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com/
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

JEEESH, I was going to post a couple picks of some of my hunting trips to the arctic circle, North west Canada, and recent succsesful bowhunting trip for bull elk, but after these last couple posts I would feel like such a LOSER!!!Guess I will just go back to doing all the maintence work on my router on this beutiful Saturday morning in Indiana.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael S Murray wrote:JEEESH, I was going to post a couple picks of some of my hunting trips to the arctic circle, North west Canada, and recent succsesful bowhunting trip for bull elk, but after these last couple posts I would feel like such a LOSER!!!Guess I will just go back to doing all the maintence work on my router on this beutiful Saturday morning in Indiana.
I'll trade my "know sombody that knows somebody that once..." for one of your elk hunts. :D All we have around here are whitetails, turkeys, pigs and bear.

I bow hunt and would like to use a handgun but the way our regulations are, you are pretty much limited to using a .44 magnum. If we had a little more flexibility in handguns, that would be my preference.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Michael S Murray wrote:JEEESH, I was going to post a couple picks of some of my hunting trips to the arctic circle, North west Canada, and recent succsesful bowhunting trip for bull elk, but after these last couple posts I would feel like such a LOSER!!!Guess I will just go back to doing all the maintence work on my router on this beutiful Saturday morning in Indiana.
Michael,

PLEASE, post the pix, as I would LOVE to see them!!!!!!!!!!!

Extensive travel was in our past, and I wanted to share with you all. I did NOT mean to, and I did NOT want to show off. It was NEVER meant that way. I apologize if that is the way it came through.

If it helps any, I am also headed to the shop to do some much required clean-up, after working on the pool much of the morning. Had a hell of a wind blow last night, and only about 15 minutes of a downpour. Leaves made a mess of the pool, and the water temp is only 72°F, so cannot even use it... :(

It IS a gorday day in NW Missouri - I would LOVE to see the photos....

Thanks,

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com/