Hobbies and other interests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Hobbies and other interests

Post by DanEpps »

I would be interested in learning some of the other interests/hobbies that some of you have.

I know Mike Bowers is into twin-hull, high-horsepower speedboat racing, but what are the rest of you doing?

I paint sports action protraits and build street rods. I have a 1927 Ford roadster and a 1934 Ford pickup.

This and the next couple of posts have a few pics of some of my portraits.

Dan
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

There was supposed to be an attachment of me working on a portrait of a friend's daughter in action at a football game. She's a cheerleader.

Dan
Attachments
Paintings 001.jpg
Paintings 001.jpg (618.81 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Here's a closeup of the portrait. I don't know what happened to the texture other than my total lack of photography skills.

I used Photoshop Pro to rotate the picture and got the texture. I went back and used PhotoSuite to rotate it and the texture is gone.
Attachments
Paintings 006.jpg
Paintings 006.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 12428 times
Last edited by DanEpps on Wed, Oct 05 2005, 4:06PM, edited 1 time in total.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Here is my son making a play at 1st base.
Attachments
Paintings 004.jpg
Paintings 004.jpg (200.01 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

My '27 Ford roadster. It has a 289 and C4 tranny. Rare street rod in that it is all Ford!
Attachments
Cars 001.jpg
Cars 001.jpg (613.87 KiB) Viewed 12523 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

My '34 Ford pickup. It has a Chevy 350 and a TH400 tranny. I am only the 3rd owner of this truck and have been working on it since 1999. You can tell from the dust that I haven't worked on it for a while though. I can't wait to get it finished and use it to deliver the cabinets I design with eCabinets!
Attachments
Cars 003.jpg
Cars 003.jpg (602.41 KiB) Viewed 12522 times
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Cool cars. :!:

Me, I am into Model Railroading. I model in N-scale 1:160 scale) which is actually quite humorous because my hands are HUGE!! The nice thing about having a Thermwood router at my disposal is it had made building the benchwork and sub-road bed easy. No pics to share, I am currently dismantling one that was only partially finished in preperation for a new one. Unfortuantely I get a lot more enjoyment out of building and wiring then I do actually running trains.

Bill
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Bill

You sould sort of like a friend of mine that is a neurosurgeon. He is about 6' 8\" and arount 275 lbs. His hands are so large you wonder whether he had ever heard of \"the delicate hands of a brain surgeon\" before he decided to specialize.

I agree on the fun of building. That too is where I derive most of my enjoyment of my hobbies and from cabinetry as well. I do enjoy driving the cars though but building is far more fun.

Dan
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

You guys have time for other interests!!!
Seriously, I wish I had some of your artistic ability Dan, it would come in handy at times. Most summers we like to ride Harley into Canada and fish with friends up there. I also take at least one big game hunting trip along with big buck hunting close to home. This summer my hobbie was puting up a horse barn and 5g lf of fence for the beasts. It took 20 yrs of 7 days a week, but in my 40;s I realized that you need to get out and get away from shop a day a week and a few hrs in the evening, very important!
Mike
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Dan, wipe that dust off the truck, load it with your paint supplies & head down here for the race. We have a car show that week & you could do some cool paintings of some of the boats. You need a vacation, don't you? Nice work on both of your hobbies.....Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You bet I need a vacation but the wife says I have to keep working to pay for my toys :D I think she just wants to be sure I can give her a little (yeah, right) \"spending\" money for a Las Vegas conference she's going to in November.

When is the race? It looks like it will be a lot of fun. We watched one in Rio DeJaniero while on our honeymoon way back in 1990. Between that and the Grand Prix right in front of our hotel, I'm not sure which was more interesting--oh, I forgot about the \"boys that want to be girls\" that came out every night as soon as the sun went down--now that was a show :wink:

Be sure to post some of your pics from the race. I might just pick out one a do a painting.

Dan
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

The \"Boy's want to be Girl's Show \" You sure you were not it the \"Key's\". At lease the car & boats were racing. Our race is Nov 16-20, I'll be down there setting up starting the 14th. I can't wait :D :D I'll post some pick for you Dan. It look like you work with acrylic's, at one race there was an artist that does race boats in water colors, really cool stuff. I attaching a link (and I don't know how long it will work) on a Cat doing a blow over, that would be a cool painting...Mike

Click here to watch Aussie flip in Austria.wmv
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Got the link to work :D
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I'll bet that was a wild ride. I downloaded the video so I can edit it a pull out the filp scene. I think the 1st one where the boats are coming toward you is the best view, how about you?

As for my medium, it is oils. The paintings are unvarnished and are still somewhat flat. I still have some work to do on the cheerleader and then it will take a 2-3 weeks of drying time before I can varnish and frame it.

Of course, my photography skills don't do the actual paintings justice. I don't know whether you can tell, but the pics have a wierd texture on them. It looks almost like a large mesh screen was lying diagonally on the canvas. It is far too large to be the texture of the canvas and it is tilted, so it is something I did (or didn't do) with the camera.

Dan
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

I got involves with a group, about 8 years ago, restoring a steam locomotive and got hooked. I ended up as Cheif Engineer and a contract to run its operation for 13 weeks a year. Its a nice break from the shop when I start it but by the end of season I'm ready to get back to building cabinets. I did start out with N scale models, but once I played with the big stuff, and couldn't do both, I stayed with the real thing.
http://www.muskokaheritageplace.org

Greg