Hobbies and other interests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

That sounds like fun Greg. I have seen some signs promoting a train festival here (in Dalton GA) this weekend. I'm not sure what it is about but we have a pair of old restored depots, 1 passenger and 1 freight, downtown. One of the has a restaurant and in the entryway is a brass disk in the floor surrounded by smaller brass disks. This is the original survey markers for the center of town and was installed there in 1847.

Dan
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

I guess that my only other vice besides woodworking is, designing and building custom fishing rods. I have had the rare priviledge of sending rods to customers from all over the U.S. I have attatched a couple of .jpgs
of some.
Dave Norton
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

People actually use the for fishing :?: They are works of art! Did you do the decorative painting on the rods? If so, they're great and, if not, well they're still great!

Dan
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I used to do oil portraits, stained glass, camping, golfing,Bass fishing untill I started my own Cabinet Shop so I would have the time and freedom to paint, do stained glass, camp, golf, and fish. I do need to get out of the shop. I bought a Thermwood router to hopefully give me more TIME! Of course I just take on more work with the time. I can't say NO. When I get this eCabinet stuff dialed, it'll all be good!
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

I am a musician and spend my off time from the shop in my recording studio writing ,playing and ocassionally recording others so they can become rich and famous. :D I play a lot of blues, classic style rock and wish I could play good jazz. I'm also developing a line of guitars and working on a couple of internet businesses. I used to have an olive orchard but prices got so bad I just pulled it. Now i have to be content dragging my driveway and mowing my field with my tractor. Man I love riding that thing.
Tim
David Norton
Guru Member

Post by David Norton »

Dan, what you are actually seeing are \"feather inlays\" on the rod blank.
And yes my customers do fish these rods.
Dave Norton
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Nice inlays David. Jungle cock I presume. Ever build any bamboo rods?
I think that is going to be my winter project this year. Just have to get started on the planing forms first. Going to try a nodeless.
Duane Doty
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

woodworking! the guitar was totally hand made, sorry did not use the thermwood. yea i play too!
Attachments
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (217.81 KiB) Viewed 10389 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Nice guitar. I have been watching a series on DIY TV about handmade instruments. They have made several variations of a banjo, including one made from a gourd.
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

In addition to Thermwood, my other passion is cars, currently Corvettes. The first shot is a 29 Ford Tudor I put together. It had an 850HP engine with leaf spring suspension and a wooden trunk on the back, great fun. The second shot is my latest project, a 58 fuel injected Corvette with a four speed tranny, only 194 were made.
Attachments
58 SM1.jpg
58 SM1.jpg (395.41 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
Street Rod1.jpg
Street Rod1.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 10354 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Great 'Vette but the fire breathing Model A with the Deuce grille is where its at for me :beer: Only one question--why does it need that big nitrous bottle? Of course, that question is somewhat like the wife asking why one might need such a car at all :wink:

Dan
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Very nice cars Ken! How about a Classic Car Discount Program? I LOVE the 'Vette!

Brian
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

You NEED the big nitrous bottle to intimidate the guy next to you. You wouldn't really want to race that thing. :D
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

A couple of years ago at the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge TN, I saw an Anglia with a blown and nitrous 502 that made 1200+ HP. The name of the car was, appropriately enough, \"Whiplash\" and it was for sale. On the spec sheet it listed things like displacement, HP, etc and down at the bottom was \"Top Speed: Scary Fast\".

I can imagine driving a car like that--just think, you come off the line with 800HP of blown 502 and give it a squirt of juice and instantly kick it up to 1200HP. Talk about whiplash...
David Norton
Guru Member

Post by David Norton »

Ken, I am green with envy, I have always wanted to do something like that. The only thing that stops me is the fact that I don't like grease under my fingernails. :lol:

Duane, I have combo spincast fly rod in bamboo that I will one day restore. My uncle has a couple of Montigues that I will probably get to also.If you get a chance contact Harry Boyd ,he has a website. He's not really into restoration . But he is a modern day master in bamboo.
Dave Norton