DXF importing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neal Meyers Jr
Company Name: Euharlee Woodshop

DXF importing

Post by Neal Meyers Jr »

I have used auto cad 2002 to create a shape to use on a box base. I saved it as a DXF file and then created a display board and took it to the part editor. From there I took it to the contour editor and imported the file and applied it to the part. When I try and used to lines created to cut a closed contour the software tells me the it is not a closed contour. I used the extend function and extended the lines past the ends of the other lines. It looks closed to me but the computer does not believe me. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I tried to attach the DXF file but I am not able to so I zipped it and that seem to allow me to attach the file..

:beer:
BaseMolding.zip
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Neal Meyers Jr
Euharlee Woodshop
White GA
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: DXF importing

Post by DanEpps »

That is going to be one huge piece of molding Neal--48 inches tall!

I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the DXF. Try "Create Part Using Closed Contour" and see if that will work for you.
Base.jpg
Base.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
Neal Meyers Jr

Post by Neal Meyers Jr »

I was trying to make a base molding that is 48"long,3 inches tall and .75 inch thick with a rabbit on the back side. It is to be applied to the base of a blanket Chest.

Thanks
Neal Meyers Jr
Euharlee Woodshop
White GA
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

Neal,

I used your drawing and created the part without errors. Are you still having trouble?
Attachments
BaseMolding.jpg
BaseMolding.jpg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Oops! Got yer dimensions a bit off then. :joker:

Make the DXF 3 inches tall, 3/4 inch thick and include the rabbet. Then, with a Display Cube .76" wide, 3.01" long and 48" deep, apply the DXF. Back in Part Editor, select the contour and "Create Part Using Closed Contour."

All of this is, of course, assuming you only want the part for display purposes. If you want to machine the part on a CNC then you will have to use a Display Panel (from sheet stock) of the correct dimensions and create a tool from the DXF. The tool would then be used to profile the edge of the Display Panel.

One thing I noticed that might be where your problem came from. If you hover over the back (flat) side of the shape, it is actually two 24" lines. It looks like you took half the shape and mirrored it. When doing this I have found it is best to delete one of the straight lines and extend the other past the intersecting line and trim it.
Neal Meyers Jr

Post by Neal Meyers Jr »

As for the dimension yes that are off but I am learning.

Still having problems with "Closed Contour" I tried using the zipped file and the one I created but when I right click on the contour I get the message that this does not seem to be a closed contour. I am sure I am missing a small step but having trouble finding that step. :wall:

Neal Meyers Jr
Euharlee Woodshop
White GA
Neal Meyers Jr

Post by Neal Meyers Jr »

:mrgreen: :joker: :D :mrgreen: :beer: :joker:
I did it!!! I was able to get the contour manager to see that I did indeed create a closed profile. :beer: :joker: :D
Seems as thought I created the DXF file and it was not at the 0,0 in the autoCad software, so when I opened it in the manager I had to move it to get it on the part correctly. Evidently when I was moving it, it was opening up the contour somewhere. I found this when I just clicked on the created contour and the software allowed me to cut the shape, but it was not on the part. I moved it and the contour opened up. I went back and reworked the DXF file in autoCad and re imported it and HOORAA it now works!!!!!!!!!!!! :joker: :beer: :mrgreen: :D
BaseMolding.jpg
BaseMolding.jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Thanks to everyone for all the help.! :beer:

I really am LOVING this software. Now to convince the little lady to allow me to get the machine to cut these shapes on. Need a larger shop first.

:beer: :beer:
Happy 4th of July :beer:
:beer: :beer:
Neal Meyers Jr
Euharlee Woodshop
White GA
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I totally missed what you were making. :oops: I saw the word "base" and made a base molding with your DXF...that's why I said it was huge.