Miters on display panels and cubes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neal Meyers Jr
Company Name: Euharlee Woodshop

Miters on display panels and cubes

Post by Neal Meyers Jr »

Dan
:D
Thanks for your help with how to get miters on the ends of the display panel moldings.

Once I thought about "How to look at the parts, whether it is the front or back of the part it becomes clearer. How to think like the machine" and figuring out how to create your own cutter shapes is also very exciting when it comes to cutting profiles. :mrgreen:

:beer:
Neal Meyers Jr
Euharlee Woodshop
White GA
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Miters on display panels and cubes

Post by DanEpps »

De nada, mi amigo! The Part Editor is without a doubt the most confounding part of eCabinets. Unless you spend a lot of time experimenting, it is not evident how parts are oriented and how tools will make cuts. Sometimes (most of the time?) a tool that looks (to a human) like it will make the desired cut results in the polar opposite.

The best way to experiment is to do what I did and make a simple tool oriented in all four directions. The tool should provide an unmistakable cut so you can see how each orientation (and plunge or offset) affects the results.

Experiment with different orientations of the part as well, especially if you are using a Display Cube. Sometimes a cut that seems impossible on a 2x3x4 Display Cube will be very simple using a 4x2x3 or 3x4x2 Display Cube--you just have to rotate it back in the Cabinet Editor to get the correct orientation.

If you (or anyone else) have any other Part Editor challenges that you would like me to make a video of, please let me know. Just post here or send me a PM or email and I'll see if I can help.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Here's my two cents worth Dan. Here are two cutters that have preset comp and depth. All you need to do is select the tool path then either the positive or negative tool (top or bottom cut). Users can use these as a guideline to making tools of different angles and material thicknesses.
Attachments
45 Bevel Positive.tol
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
45 Bevel Negative.tol
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Good point Rick.

I too, prefer to make tools that have plunge and offset "predefined." Everyone should note that my examples are designed purely to illustrate the relationship between the tool, part, offset and plunge. When experimenting to find how a tool will react, it is good to have the tool start a 0,0 with all positive values. Once you determine how the tool works you can create one with plunge and offset builtin as Rick did. That keeps you from having to remember the settings for each tool or experiment again the next time you use it.