Losing PE Cuts When Changing Door Style?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Losing PE Cuts When Changing Door Style?

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Is there a way to avoid this from happening? I'm changing the doors Custom Layout Area.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Losing PE Cuts When Changing Door Style?

Post by DanEpps »

Where are the PE cuts? Did you constrain them?
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Dan,

It eliminates the holes for the pulls, and the drilling on the backside of the drawer fronts (for metal drawers). All of the holes are constrained, all disapppear

Nat

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nat,

The holes etc on a door and drawer front are part of that front and changing the doors anywhere will delete that door and replace it with a new door that has no holes.

Kerry
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks Kerry,

Hopefully at some point that will change, it does seem a little bit limiting.

Nat

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Nat,

I am not sure how they would handle that. You lose part editor cuts on any part when it is removed and replaced. Are you just wanting to change materials on a slab door because slab doors are the only door that will allow part editor cuts so you would lose your cuts anyway if you switch to an mdf door or a five piece door.
Are you just wanting to change materials on a slab door.

A good place to start is to suggest it as a software improvement through feedback and see what the programmers have to say.

Would this be accomplished using a UCS in your previous software?

Kerry
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Kerry,

The doors and drawer fronts are all slab. I've created a library using .5mm edgeband on the doors, and need to replicate it using 3mm band on the door/df edges. I was hoping to be able to just change the doors style. Where the PE holes on these parts are referenced from the edge of the part (not counting edgeband), just changing the banding thickness back and forth wouldn't work either. Adding the pull holes and holes for the drawer system, and constraining them does take a fair amount of time.

How are knob holes handled on doors other than slab style? If you change a door style on a job, do the knob/pull holes have to be manually redone?

A UCS would have covered this in the past.

I will suggest this through feedack, as well as some way to facilitate the machining for knob/pull holes and metal drawers.

All and all, I'm very pleased with the software,and it's cutting ability. Overall speed and these things I've mentioned above, are my only real sticking ponts at the moment.

Nat

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Nat,

You could save your geometry for your holes and then apply that geometry to the new doors but that too would be very clunky. I don't have a good way for you to accomplish this task other than manually.

Pulls and cuts on all other doors must be done manually. I am guessing the thinking is that on a five piece door it is just as fast to use a dedicated hinge boring machine and a jig for locating holes as it would be to locate the proper door, orient it on the machine for the router to cut these holes. The same goes for MDF doors, these holes would be a flip operation and would require as much time and effort on the router as they would using other means.
Your slab doors of course would be easier and faster on the router.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.

I hope we will be seeing improvements on the overall speed of eCabinets with Version 6.