Shopbot Link - Ramping issue

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Shopbot Link - Ramping issue

Postby Donald Thomson » Mon, Jul 20 2009, 11:42AM

I'm running version 1.0.12 of SB Link and have noticed something I'm not sure is right or wrong. I have ramping setup at 1.5". When the machine is doing dado cuts, there are times that it will perform this ramp when entering the material and other times it just plunges to full depth and starts cutting the dado. This seems to happen in both long and short dados. Also, somethings on long dado cuts it will perform a gradual ramp the full length of the dado. At the end of the first pass it will be a final depth. With this type of operation, each dado takes 3 passes to cut. All this behavior is happening on 3/4" plywood.

Not sure what I have setup wrong or what. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Re: Shopbot Link - Ramping issue

Postby Donald Thomson » Mon, Jul 20 2009, 2:16PM

Further information on this, I noticed that ramping is working properly on all outline cuts - both on the first pass and the second pass.

I have noticed, however, that on dado cuts ramping is very random in whether it happens or not. As mentioned in the first post, sometimes a ramp operation is performed the full length of the dado and other times it simply plunges to full depth and starts cutting. I wish I knew if or where this is controlled in SB Link settings and I would turn it on for all dado cuts.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA

Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Postby Daniel Vonderheide » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 8:57AM

Can you email an import from the link to program@thermwood.com so we can try to duplicate the error?

Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Postby Donald Thomson » Tue, Jul 21 2009, 11:15PM

Daniel,

I will get it emailed to you as soon as I get a breather.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA

Ernest Klassen
Company Name: Ernest Klassen Kitchens

Postby Ernest Klassen » Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:46AM

Yes I have noticed that too. It makes for extra passes on the blind datto cuts.
Another thing I have noticed is that the X,Y move speed and the Z move speed are locked together.
When the X,Y move speed changes to a slower speed, to cut small parts, the Z move speed changes to
the same speed.

Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Postby Gary Campbell » Wed, Jul 22 2009, 5:47PM

Don & Ernie...
I can't give you the definative answer here, but I sent in a file a while back with the same "extra pass" and speed questions. The software may have changed since then, but here is what I was told, and it makes sense to me.

The extra pass is a result of a cleanup for the ramp in section of the dado. Larry was going to look at this and see if it was doing what what was intended.

The speeds all going to the same are also "common" on the big iron. G Code sets and/or changes move speeds much more often than we are used to with vector based CADCAM software. I consider this a plus. Your 3 axis move speeds are set for a part, and since there is always a ramp in, even if they were the same, the ramp would be no greater angle of entry than 45 degrees. In most cases, you set a longer ramp length and the z actually takes the full distance of the ramp to penetrate to the cutting distance. So even if your console displays a faster than you would like speed number, it will rarely move that fast. Z speeds are set by interpolation to match the ramp length. Straight plunges and retracts use the Z speeds assigned to the tool.

Hope this helps and I didnt step on toes.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”