New to eCabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Swanner
Company Name: Apex Custom Woodworks

New to eCabinets

Post by Michael Swanner »

I'm teaching myself the software and have hit a few snags that I can't seem to figure out myself:

1) How do you alter the vertical height of the cabinets in the layout screen? Both base and upper.

2) When I install a molding in the cabinet editor, use the nodes to position it - after I leave the screen and return to layout it's gone and when I go back to the cabinet editor it's missing too. Only the standard crown, mid, and base molding stick - I'm trying to trim out fixed shelving and verticals...

3) I've searched with no luck for additional molding that can be imported to the program - I'm looking for standard sizes and profiles common of most suppliers - exact matches aren't needed just something dimensionally close - like a 6" base molding just to show in the renderings.

4) What is the best way to handle laminate work? (Laminate doors and drawers, exteriors and interiors) Can it be done as a separate sheet stock and all the laminate pieces nested with a 1" added to each dimension for trimming; or should it be done as pre-laid up sheets?

6) Are there any material catalogs available for import?
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: New to eCabinets

Post by Peter Walsh »

Michael,
I can help immediately with a couple of items.

First, When you load a cabinet into a room layout, you must "associate" it with a wall. Double click the cabinet to cause the cabinet to be covered with a cross-hatch pattern. This means you have "selected" the cabinet. Once you have done that, you will find a button icon for "associating" up top in the tool bar (ninth one from the left side). Click on the icon and choose "associate". After you have "associated the cabinet with the wall, click on the tool bar icon that shows the wall outline (third from the left). The wall elevation should be displayed with the cabinet. Highlight the cabinet with a double click and use the keyboard controls to move the cabinet to whatever height you would like.

2. The problem with the molding is likely to be the same as above. While in the Cabinet Editor, you must "select" the molding, double click the cabinet so both are "selected", then right click your mouse. In the pop-up list you will see "associate". Click to associate the molding with the cabinet, and save your work. This tells the system to keep this part with the cabinet in the position you placed it into. This also goes for any "display" boards, doors, or sheet stock you add. You must associate these items.
3. Can't help on this one.

regards,

4. Sheet stock can be added to the list with any wood type, color, laminate, size. On the top tool bar, select the 10th icon from the left to add new sheet stock. The pop-up menu allows you to add a new sheet stock with any name and size. It also allows you to select the color or wood finish you want, including wallpaper. Quite expansive choices there including Formica. Don't forget to price what you have added so the pricing process works when you get to that point.

5. Everyone makes their own sheet stock choices since it is so easy to do. You can import additional wood types, etc. but it is best to stick with the wide range of pre-existing choices in the early days of learning.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: New to eCabinets

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Michael,

Welcome to the forum. 3. Only the mouldings that are presented can be used in the Moulding Editor. You can however, make up custom mouldings in the Part Editor and place them manually.