Shopbot link and restarting file

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Marc Rheaume
Company Name: Rheaume Custom Cabinets

Shopbot link and restarting file

Post by Marc Rheaume »

Good morning/afternoon,
I'm in the process of cutting 15 sneets using the Shopbot link, version 15b. I have two questions which I haven't found the answer;

1. Is there a way to have the program tell me which bit it's looking for next to zero? Thankfully, I only use 2 bits at this time, but I have missed 5mm holes on the sheet layout and had to restart the file (didn't waste the sheet). This leads me to the second question;

2. I accidentally entered NO when it asked me if bit had to be zeroed after a change. I had to cancel the file, and regenerate all the code again for all 15 sheets. Other than paying attention a little more, is there a way around this? i.e. resume from line x. I'm down at least 1 hour each time I have to cancel the file and restart it.

Thanks in advance, even if there's workaround!

Marc
Roger Kirkpatrick
Company Name: The WoodCrafting Company

Re: Shopbot link and restarting file

Post by Roger Kirkpatrick »

Marc,

I can try to help.

1. This would be some custom coding in the C6 file.
I have run across the same thing and wanted to know which Bit (HEAD IN MY CASE) the program was referring to. I added some code to appear in the prompt window
showing which cutting head the file is going the use next.

2. Re-starting a file is pretty easy. As far as I know you can't start where you left off.
After you CANCEL type in C7. This will set your Z zero the way it was before you canceled (I zero to the bed and the Link offsets the material thickness)
Then on the ShopBot control screen click on File, RUN. It will have the last file that you started to run listed. Select it and it will start all over again
without re-generating the code in the Link. This should only take you less than a minute to re-start a file (At the beginning of a sheet).
You can select which sheet you start from if this happens half way through the job.
The WoodCrafter
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Marc...
A couple additions to Roger's comments:
You can add the tool name and/or number to a "PRINT" command for each tool change. My early toolchanger files had this, but I was not able to get the print screen to stay resized in a location that didnt cover something else, so I removed the sub file. I am not sure what the ShopBot files have in them. You can also add a pause or loop to return to the zero question if the bit was not zeroed. The question to zero bit should be removed, in my opinion, because if you are changing a bit it MUST be zeroed.

There are a couple ways to restart a Link file. Roger shows one. Another is to uncheck the "close link after write" box and simply click "write to shopbot" to rerun the file. With the newer versions of SB3 you shouldnt have to run the C7 to reset the offsets, but its a nice safety valve.

email me if you need a hand modifying the files
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Marc Rheaume
Company Name: Rheaume Custom Cabinets

Post by Marc Rheaume »

I've unsuccessfully tried to restart the file(s), I only see the FP command which would be close, and my C7 command is to turn the spindle off. I honestly don't know how that would cause a file to restart/reset, but then again, there's lots I don't know. I had already unchecked the location which indicates close the link after write. The time wasted is during the "creation" of the code for the bot. When I cancel the file, I still have the link open, ready to make changes. Nesting sheets (in this case 13) never takes more than 30 seconds to a minute. It's quick enough that I don't pay attention to it.

I really like the idea of introducing a loop. A kind of statement such as "are you sure?" I don't think that's in the Shopbot files though. Isn't that hidden somewhere in the Thermwood link? The statements that are found in the zeroing routine come after I chose whether or not to zero the bit.

I will have more time to look at it after this week (I hope). I have finished cutting the sheets required for this job, and I should soon have more time to tinker.

Many thanks to both of you for your assistance, it sure gets things running again!

Marc
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Mark..

You are correct, if you are using the SB toolchanger files, the C7 only turns the spindle off. Newer versions of the SB3 software reset offsets automatically. I have left this in my versions, and that is what Roger was referring to. As he noted above, the selected tool X,Y and Z offsets, if any, will be reset, not the file. Nor will it restart on its own.

The code for the toolchange, bit change and rezero of bits is in a file called "MTC" in your C:\SbParts folder. I am not sure why ShopBot chose to ask if you need to rezero before you even change the bit.

My normal time to "spool up" a link file for 10-15 sheets would be around a minute... what are your computer specs? An hour is extraordinarilly long, something is not right.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support