den wall unit

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

den wall unit

Post by Greg Smith »

Here's a few pics of a wall unit I've been working on. Its almost all drawn with eCab. I almost had the curved doors drawn but it wouldn't let me do what I needed to, so I drew them in another program and imported them in. The other parts are all in eCab though (except the corbels and display items). The black is hard to see details, but thats the colour the customer is after.
I did struggle with making alot of the custom parts. Many took 4 or 5 tries to get what I wanted. Even now some aren't perfect but are OK for selling the job.
All in all I'm happy.
Attachments
library 21b.jpg
library 21b.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
library 22b.jpg
library 22b.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
library 26b.jpg
library 26b.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

another pic
Attachments
library 27b.jpg
library 27b.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 14704 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I like everything but the black, but if that's what the customer want's...

Very nice design.
Audrey Racine
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Audrey Racine »

Hi Greg,
I really like your unit it is beautifull.... I'm sure you tokes lot of times to get this.... Keep on the good work!

Audrey
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Dan,

It must be a Canadian thing.
Everybody wants black for some reason in my neck of the wood.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I know what you mean Jean-Gabriel, everything here absolutely has to be some shade of white. Of course, that is fine with me because I can use MDF instead of wood and get a great finish on it without much work.

That said, I prefer to use wood and give it a good hand-rubbed finish but people just don't want to pay for that much quality :wink:
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

The final finish on this will be a black toned, clear satin laquer over maple ( you will still be able to see some grain thru the finish). And then antiqued at the edges (rubbed off). So it will still have the look of wood but in black. The antiqued black is to match a desk already in that room.
Robert J. Brown

Nice work.

Post by Robert J. Brown »

How many man hours do you figure for the cabinet? Nice work.
Robert J. Brown
rjbdesigns.net
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

To build it or design it? I would guess I had about 15 hours or so in the eCab work. but alot of that was from having to retry alot of methods to get the curved parts to work, or making custom mouldings and mitreing them. I never had to figure how long for building it, this customer is a long time repeat customer and we just draw it, build it and then give him the bill. I will guess we will have about 2 weeks for 2 guys to build and laquer this piece. And yes we do have the go ahead to build it now. If I remember, I'll post how long it took once we're done.
Robert J. Brown

Thanks for the info, I am a new member. I build cabinetry and I am a designer and I work with Chief Architect software. It is an excellent program, however, I have been exploring new cabinetry software to dial in certain aspects of my plans. I haven't received my e-cabinet software yet but I am anxious to see how much control it has over layout and design as compared to Chief. If it is more detailed than what I am using, I would like to import the cabinets into Chief and use them in my plans. I can see why they offer it for free now. They expect you to buy tooling and equipment through them. Thats fine. How is it working out for you?

If you would like to check out Chief Architect go to http://www.chiefarchitect.com

Regards, Rob
Robert J. Brown
rjbdesigns.net
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

eCab works great for me. There are areas that don't do what I want. But they are always adding and making it better. Alot of the time there is a work around to get what is needed in the drawing. And I feel the final product is great. Customers love it. And I still haven't set up to get the most out of the program.
I don't think there is anyway you would be able to import these cabinets into your program. Its just not the way things are set up.
Robert J. Brown

Sample Cabinet

Here is a sample of what chief can do. I have a rendering and a \"raytrace\" which adds radiosity, shadows and reflections. I made this in about 30 minutes. If I did elevation drawings and dimensioned it is would take a little longer.

Rob
Attachments
test cabinet.jpg
test cabinet.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 14422 times
testcabinetrt.jpg
testcabinetrt.jpg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 14422 times
Robert J. Brown
rjbdesigns.net
Robert J. Brown

photo quaility

The quality of the graphics did not transfer very well, especially with the raytrace. In the oringinal there are no jagged lines. Sorry it is not what it should be. The original is photo-realistic quality.
Robert J. Brown
rjbdesigns.net
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Robert,
I use HD Pro (low end Chief product) for drawing floor plans and I used to use it for quick cabinet design layouts for the customer. It was fast and easy to get the basic design but then I had to draw the whole thing in eCabinets to get cutlists, bill of materials, the ability to create custom moldings and a truly great render for the final presentation, so I now just start everything in eCabinets.
I still use HD Pro for full house floor plans then I draw all the cabinets in eCabinets. I will eventually upgrade to Chief for the floor plans (if enough work keeps coming in). I want to be able to use ray-tracing for exterior renders.
Have you seen what some are doing with Chief designs when they export them to Artlantis to get what truly is a Photo realistic view? When that is done you do get close to the quality of an eCabs render. You still won't get a cutlist though

Here are some links to job presentation drawings done in eCabinets

Kitchen 1

Kitchen 2

Kitchen and Baths

General stuff for slow internet connection

General Stuff for High speed connection
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Robert,

I doubt that Ecabs will import to CA. I am familiar with Chief Architect in version 9.5 and before. Unless CA 10 has the abiltility to import .hsf files you might be stuck.
Dave Norton