Fly tying desk

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Shelbyville??? I thought everyone there was too involved with horses to fish :lol:
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Duane, follow Dan's guide for placing display parts in a presentation. Believe me brother, it's the little details like this that will sell your cabinets.
Hhmm, course it helps to have cabs that look like your fly tying desk also.
Dave Norton
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Thanks Dan
Dave,
:shock: Nice jungle cock inlay. I love the feather inlay touch and thats what I would like to do for the alignment on each section of multi peice rods. I frequent rodbuildingforum.com a sister site of flytyingforum.com
A lot of bamboo guys on there
Duane
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

I know the details are where its at and the time involved will definately make the payoff. I'm pretty confident in the manipulation of the cabinets and designing them with ecabs. I just want to work on polishing the surface now
Duane
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Dave is right about the little details selling the job for you. If, for example, you were designing this desk for a customer, tak a picture of their shop where the desk will be located and use it for the room in your presentation. If there is a window in the room, take a picture of whatever is outside and put another wall with that picture \"outside\" the room and view the oustide image from the window.

Customers love seeing their room with your designs in it and will tell everyone they know about you :D .

You can use the images in the materials folder for background colors for these display cubes and match the materials in your desk. It will take a little work but the end result is well worth it.

You place a desk like your's in a customer's own room and, SOLD!!!
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Ok, I think I'm getting it. I right clicked on image and was able to save to a folder now I think I can remember how to paste the image to a display cube and place in custom layout. I'll have to play with it more tonight, but for now I have to get back to working up a bid and ordering some material for some other jobs
Duane
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

One more thing. I have placed the images on walls placed behind window and really like the effect. My only other trouble area is playing with lighting. I seem to have a hard time getting the bases lit up enough without washing out the uppers. Do you have any good formulas to help with lighting issues. For the most part I usually get the upper lighted pretty well but the bases usually end up too dark. Should I place more light farther back in the room. Put lights at a higher/lower elevation?
Any tips in this area would be great!
Duane
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Someone else is going to have to ring in on that one. I have a lot of trouble getting lighting to work the way I want it also.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Duane,
Here is a link to a good thread on lighting.

http://ntc.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... t=lighting

I like to use as few lights as possible and at low intensity to give a more natural effect. If the picture is too dark I take the jpeg into Irfanview and click on \"Image\" then \"enhance colors\" and change the Gamma Correction to about 1.25 to brighten the picture. This works great.. Use lights at different intensities to create shadows.
Here is a link to one of my eCabinets design galleries.

http://www.kerryfullington.com/cab_design

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Duane

Just in case you haven't read everything in the forum :wink: , everyone here considers Kerry to be \"The Master of Lighting\" (just like Thomas Kincaid's paintings). If you look at his gallery you will be awed at just what can be done with eCabinets.
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Cool Kerry
Thanks for the help. Very nice gallery.
I picked up on Kerry's status when I first joined the forum.

I have been helped by the master :D
Duane
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Duane, try to contact Harry Boyd http://www.canerods.com Harry is one of the best in the business. Also a past president of the Rodbuilders Guild.

Dan, Shelbyville, TN. may be the Walking horse capital of the world. But they also have one of the best rodbuilding suppliers in the world also.

Duane, as Kerry alluded to, Lighting is something that is trial and error.
Thankfully you can always undo what you have done and start again.
Dave Norton
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Thanks Dave
I have been to his site many times drooling over his rods
Duane
Duane Doty

Post by Duane Doty »

Dan
I have saved your pics to my computer, then gone into ecabs(cab assembly area) loaded a display cube and selected image, upload image then uploaded your pic into folder. selected your pic as an image(there is no preview just a box with an x in it) then selected stretch image and clicked on ok. when i get back to the display cube it has some kind of wood floor image on it instead of the vise image
Any ideas of what is going wrong
Duane
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Duane

I'm not sure what happened there. Here is a zipfile with all of the images in jpg format. Try them and see if that helps.
Attachments
Flyvise.zip
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 397 times