ecabinets work bench

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

we will do most any joint depending on the customer, most of our cabinets have beaded face frames so we use a dovetail joint in the back of the frames, this works pretty good but i still want to be even better. we finish our face frames sepratly from the boxes so i want them to be really strong while they are still a sub assembly. for furniture pieces we would only do mortise and tennon, we actually purchased the mortise and tennon machine and the length processor, we already have a tigerstop but the thermwood one will take ecabs files and put a mark at the intersections of mid rails and stiles. well at least thats what they say. we shall see, i was not to encouraged to see that they still have not enabled the face frame settings in version 5. we should be getting these in in the next cuple of weeks will keep you posted.
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

Thanks Jeff, I've always thought the Thermwood M&T would be a perfect solution to beaded face frames. The accuracy should be right there. It takes lots of fouling around to set the square chisel mortiser to the notch and the Maka would be great but only if doing 100 of the same FF.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

we actually use a morso machine for the notching, works great but you have to measure and mark, we were going to index it to the tigerstop to do this but never got around to it, i was looking at other mortiise and tennon machines that could do a miter and also cope for the beaded face frames, but the cost would be nearly 85k the thermwood machine will do most of what i want at a fraction of the cost,
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Very nice Jeff, shows what a marriage of Ecabs and Thermwood can do!
Dave Norton
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

thanks dave, i do like to think that they show the marriage of hand and machine, i probably should have pointed out earlier that the only g-code that was generated from ecabinets was for the basic cabinet insert. all of the other code was created in another CAM applacation. most of these operations would be next to impossible to do using ecabinets, however as a visual tool ecabinets proved invaluable. thanks again