It feels like the first time...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Andrew Lindquist

It feels like the first time...

Post by Andrew Lindquist »

Here is my first go at this software, started on all this this morning and fixing to start cutting wood in about an hour. Amazing how this really speeds up the process... Love the nested diagrams, I will really save on lumber cost...
Attachments
SalonFinal-edited.jpg
SalonFinal-edited.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
A better tomorrow through woodworking
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Very nice first design Andrew and welcome to the family! I hope we will see more of your designs.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Andrew Nice job.
Do you have a Thermwood CNC?
What part of town are you in? I am north of FM 1960 and West of I-45.
Did you take a training class or just use the tutorials or other... ?
Again nice job for your first post.

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Andrew Lindquist

Michael Thanks.
I am in Bellaire and my new shop is in the southern part of town.

I do not have a CNC machine yet... maybe next year. I can see how it would be a hugh benefit to own one to blast out jobs!

I just learned the software from the help files and 3 trips to the forums to look up answers to a couple questions... I did'nt see the tutorials. I have a background in software (I can write in several object oriented languages + some 3D experience) so picking up ecab was not that hard for me, I literally picked it up in just a couple hours, learned while I produced this job...

I found that I had a couple of fundamentally flaws in the way that I designed the product floor stands, I should have made the layers of shelves, partitions & center stretchers one level at a time and stacked them for better strength... Live and learn I figured it out before I burned through too many sheets of plywood...

Andrew
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Andrew,
Good to hear you picked it up quickly. We have two Thermwoods and if you need help with any of your jobs let me know.
\"Ecabinets made Easy\" can help expose some shortcuts or procedure
Even though I have been using Ecabinets since version 1, I still learn new things with each new version. I try to do things outside the box.

Below is a picture of a prototype that Dennis, The Ecabinet instructor, and Jason @ Thermwood have helped me with. The only thing, so far, that Ecabinets was unable to do, is make the arched trapezoid panel. I can make the arch/radiused panel but then I can not rotate it to make it into a trapezoid. I can bring it in as an STL but then it will only be for presentation purpose and not CNC-able.

Andrew let me know if I can help increase your production capacity.

Thank you,
Attachments
CBMpanelsOct3 003.jpg
CBMpanelsOct3 003.jpg (146.63 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Andrew Lindquist

Installed

Here is a couple of photos of the job. It turned out really nice, customer is super happy. The wood we used was not that great (imported ply, cst choice) and created a lot of time in the finishing to get right... The Wall units are made with dado's and the floor stands with biscuts.

Andrew
Attachments
working.jpg
working.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
finished.jpg
finished.jpg (140.76 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 6030 times