Recent Job

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Recent Job

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Here is a shot of the real job that went with the drawing in my \"Testing\" post. My customers were more impressed by the eCabinets drawings than they were by the actual work. Sorry about the lousy photography.

Here is a shot of the desk top. I threw in a little walnut inlay to dress it up. Nothing fancy but I think it helped the look.

Kerry
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Nice.
Really nice work.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Recent job

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Kerry,

If you can't get 25 grants for this you know you should move.
Just kidding.
It's beautifull work. And I understand the cabinetmaking trade is on the decline because people don't want to pay what things are worth.
But at least there is satisfaction in the accomplishment.
Keep it up.

Jean-G.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks David and Jean.

I started building cabinets the year eCabinets released version 1. That was also the year I purchased my first computer. I researched cabinet software hoping to find something to draw my designs for customers to see. The only program out there at that time that could begin to do all the things I wanted to do was going to cost $20,000. When I contacted that company they told me I didn't need nor could I afford all of their design and manufacturing software. They were wrong about my needing the capabilities but they were correct about my affording them. It was then that I saw an ad in a trade magazine for eCabinet systems. Today you couldn't give me that or any other package. I think (for my purposes) eCabinets has passed them by. There are still things I sould like to see in eCabinets but I know that they will be there soon.
The customers I built this job for went on and on about how \"Mickey Mouse\" all the other designs they received had looked in comparison to mine. I liked that.

Jean,
I would really have to improve the quality and workmanship on this little job to get that kind of price.

Kerry
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, you humble you.
I have been more than 35 years in the business to recognise good work and bad work. And I wish I could do as good as you do.
The talent is there and peoples should pay for it.
But I know what you mean because I face the same thing every day.
Calgary is a booming city and like every booming city you get all the gold diggers and a lot of them are sheap no goods.
The cabinetmaking trade need a revamp of some sort because pretty soon there won't be anymore cabinetmakers.

Have a good day Kerry and I am glad that you are far from the eye of the huricane.
:lol:
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Great job.

Post by Ken Susnjara »

Kerry, this is REALLY nice work! Congrats.

The problem of getting the price you deserve is a common one that we are trying to address. One area where we may be able to help is finishing.

Regardless of what your finish suppliers are telling you, small cabinet shops do not have access to true high-end furniture quality finishes. Today these are only sold to large furniture companies in tanker truck quantities. They represent spectacular finishes, are rather easy to apply and encompass a whole area of technology not understood or available to cabinet shops. We believe these could make that difference in your sales price.

For some time now we have been working with Valspar to bring these finishes to you. They are interested because of the cooperative and overall potential but we will need to handle the individual details for each Member. We will be announcing the program at the AWFS show in Vegas and in the next few days it will show up on our web site. You will get an email when it is posted so you can check it out.

We have seven really nice finishes we can ship right now and will be adding additional finishes as the program matures. We have also created DVD videos to show you exactly how to apply the materials, step by step.

With our experience in the cabinet and furniture industry, we firmly believe that a little extra effort in this area could generate substantially better prices for your product. This is another area where the idea of banding together in a cooperative may allow us to get access to new tools that make us more profitable.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Ken,
I have been excited about the furniture program. There is very little building going on where I live so it has been a bit of a struggle to grow. I am working on some outlets for furniture designs. It will be fun to try and will fill in between the cabinet jobs.
You are correct, a proper finish can turn an ordinary cabinet into a piece of furniture. I will be looking forward to seeing what eCabinets has to offer. Also just like the eCabinets drawings, I think a realy nice eCabinets finish can give you the edge over competition. Most cabinet jobs here are finished onsite by painters. I think it should be easy to \"blow them away\" with furniture quality finishes. Now getting paid for that feature, I don't know. You guys have fun in Vegas.

Kerry