Amoire

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Rolf Bergstrom

Amoire

Postby Rolf Bergstrom » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 7:44PM

This is the last job I did in eCabs and the finished (and unfinished) piece. Had to match an existing bedroom set so I had to do the carvings myself. Amazing what you can do with poplar and birch ply, huh?
Attachments
finished.jpg
finished.jpg (255.33 KiB) Viewed 11478 times
unfinished.jpg
unfinished.jpg (180.72 KiB) Viewed 11478 times
assy1.jpg
assy1.jpg (65.62 KiB) Viewed 11480 times

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Al Navas » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 7:57PM

Outstanding, Rolf!!! You did a terrific job with the carving, and the flutes on the corner pieces.

On the doors: Are the pegs just for decoration, or are they functional, to reinforce tenons in mortices? How did you machine the pyramids (at least, I think they look like pyramids)?

Thanks for sharing!

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Rolf Bergstrom

Postby Rolf Bergstrom » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 8:28PM

The pegs are not functional. The doors just have std 7/16 tenons. This was a budget project which is why it is all poplar and birch and doesn't have all of the curves of the set I was matching.
The pegs were a pain but I could not figure out an easier way to do it. I started with a 1/2in square stock and then used a dado set to notch all the way around every 1/2in or so. After I made several of these blanks I tilted a blade and started cutting the pyramids. I would make the pyramid cuts on one end and then slice it off on the band saw, make the next pyramid cuts, slice it off, etc, etc. So I ended up with a 1/2in pyramid sitting on a 1/4in peg that glued into a 1/4in mortise. I guess the only problem with this was that I ended up with end grain pyramids but that was okay for this because they looked good being a liitle darker.

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 12:18AM

Beautiful job Rolf!

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 7:58PM

Very nice Rolf,
I really like it. This piece would be a great candidate for Design Sharing.
Kerry

Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: Amoire

Postby Wally Schneeberger » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 9:54PM

Rolf Bergstrom wrote:This is the last job I did in eCabs and the finished (and unfinished) piece. Had to match an existing bedroom set so I had to do the carvings myself. Amazing what you can do with poplar and birch ply, huh?
Rolf .. It looks GREAT!! Could you post your finishing schedule? It looks like a stain or spray stain followed by a accent glaze and then lacquered. How close am I?

Rolf Bergstrom

Postby Rolf Bergstrom » Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:04AM

Transtint dye stain on bare wood sealed with 1# extra pale solvent shellac. General Finishes WB Glaze Effects, vandyke brown with black to accent the distressing and in the corners and such, (the camera flash added more contrast than actual, it looks alot more subtle in person with natural light) and several coats of GF Enduro WB poly.

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:24AM

Rolf,
I have just recently started experimenting with the Trans Tint Dyes. It is a lot of fun. You can do some really interesting things. I love the 3D effects you can get by using it as a toner. I still need a proper spray booth so I can spend more time playing with this.
What ever happened to Bill Hightower? He was doing some really interesting finishes also.

Kerry

BillHightower

Postby BillHightower » Sun, Jul 15 2007, 6:12AM

Kerry,

I am still around. Just very busy which I guess is good.

Bill Hightower

Return to “Customer Images”