Radius Corners

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Radius Corners

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 5:09PM

Radius fluted corners modeled in eCabinets to match Kimrick corners.
Kerry

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Al Navas » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 5:55PM

Outstanding!

Did you \"make\" the corner pieces in eCabs, or are they vendor parts? I think I know how to make the flutes, based on an exercise in the eCabs seminar. But I would not have any idea how to \"machine\" the pieces and then flute them. I am guessing you indexed in some manner...

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 6:11PM

Al,
Everything is created in eCabinets. Here is a shot of the tool for the radius fluted molding. I had a knife cut for my molder that makes this design.
the base and cap turning were created in eCabinets also. I have had trouble with imported parts not rendering properly in presentation view so I am trying to create everything I use in the software.

Kerry

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Al Navas » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 6:24PM

NEAT!

Let me see if I can follow you on this, Kerry:

1. You create this tool in Shape Manager.

2. I assume you start off with a display board, maybe 4\" x 4\" and the height of the cabinet.

3. Then you apply this tool, to mold the display item.

4. Once molded, you bring the machined display board into the cabinet area, rotate it properly, and place it on one of the corners.

5. After making a copy of the machined display board, you place the copy on the other corner.

Is this anywhere even close??? Thanks!

Al

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 8:04PM

Al,
That is basically all the steps. I created three tools, one for the base, one for the fluting and one for the cap ( a variation of the base). I made all three pieces from display cubes then put them together as an assembly in the cab editor where I can stretch the fluting to any length. After the pieces are positioned in the cab editor I exported all three together to the Display Part Editor where I created a single Display Part of all three parts and gave the unit a cost. I can now place the Display part corner on a cabinet like you described above.
Kerry

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 9:42PM

This is a perfect example of how a tool is used to extrude a profile on a display cube. Newer users might think that when designing a tool it needs to be a rotary cutter, this is not the case. Nice job Kerry.

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Joe Dusel » Sat, Jun 16 2007, 11:21PM

Nice job Kerry! By the way, the Kimrick people say they are in the process of updating their web site and will also be putting 3D drawings their as well. Osborne has a pretty nice selection of turned items on their web site, but I'm sure you already know that. The nice thing about what Kimrick is doing is that they are making their stuff modular.

Joe

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:17AM

Rick,
In the real world I have to use two knives and two passes to make this molding. One for the back bevels and one for the face cut. In eCabinets I can do both cuts in one pass.

Joe,
I talked to the folks at Kimrick about 3D drawings a couple of years back because the corners they produce were hot stuff here for a while. I think they thought I was trying to steal their designs. Now it is becoming standard procedure for companies to provide CAD drawings for customers to use in designs. It is sure easier to get stuff than it used to be.
I have been using Osborne drawings for quite a while but they are some that don't render well since version 5. They show facets when you render. I talked to one of the Osborne's via email a while back about becoming an eCabinets Vendor. He seemed really interested and was going to contact Thermwood. I don't know if they ever did or not. He was also going to look into providing all of their drawings in .stl format if they became a vendor. I wish they would join up. They have some stuff that Adams doesn't provide and have great service.
I wouldn't mind if Kimrick jumped on board also. They have always been great to work with. Very fast service for me since they are in Fort Worth.

I will post these tools after I clean them up a bit if anyone would like them.

Kerry

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Postby Al Navas » Sun, Jun 17 2007, 3:00PM

Kerry Fullington wrote:...I talked to one of the Osborne's via email a while back about becoming an eCabinets Vendor. He seemed really interested and was going to contact Thermwood. I don't know if they ever did or not. He was also going to look into providing all of their drawings in .stl format if they became a vendor. I wish they would join up. They have some stuff that Adams doesn't provide and have great service...

...I will post these tools after I clean them up a bit if anyone would like them...
I am very interested in looking at the details of the tools, Kerry. Thanks for the offer! I have not succeeded making one yet - I attach a copy of the file I made.

Regarding Osborne, I was contacted by one of their people, to learn whether the downloads of some of their CAD drawings went well. I told her that yes, it had gone really well, and I added:

"...I wonder if it is possible to get copies of ALL the zip files? That would be wonderful. Also, have you considered partnering with Thermwood to distribute your files, and to sell the products? THAT would be GREAT!!!!!! ".

For Jason, and others at Thermwood: I hope I was not out of line by suggesting this.
Al

Lamar Horton

Postby Lamar Horton » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:32PM

Kerry, I have gotten a few things from Kimrick myself, they are about 20 minutes away from me. They are great to work with. It's kind of funny, they have a sign on their warehouse door that forbids photography. I guess they are pretty protective of their stuff.

Return to “Customer Images”