ideas

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Kirt F. Bowman

ideas

Postby Kirt F. Bowman » Wed, Jun 20 2007, 8:30AM

Kerry
subscribe to kitchen bath design news and any other pro rag you like,that will give you ideas and keep you fresh.

my 2 cents

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Postby Kerry Fullington » Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:40AM

Kirt,
I get all of the trade magazines and have a very large collection of idea books and magazines. I guess what I am lacking is inspiration to put it all together. This used to come very easy but lately has been torture. In the past I have always been able to provide a fix for difficult rooms and situations, now I just want the difficult stuff to go away. Getting old and cranky I guess.
Kerry

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Postby Al Navas » Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:07PM

Kerry Fullington wrote:... Getting old and cranky I guess...
LOL, Kerry!

I would say it is definitely aging very gracefully 8) .

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Al Navas » Fri, Jul 20 2007, 9:43PM

Kerry,

Has inspiration returned? Are you in Vegas? If not, maybe you could run out there tomorrow and close down the place.

I do hope you are feeling somewhat better.

Al

Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Postby Peter Walsh » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 12:29PM

Kerry,
Sorry about the sag in inspiration. It happens to all of us.
I do find my inspirations come more from the decorating folks than the industry itself. Most of our contemporaries are technically based and not art based. I find professional decorators and designers force us to produce the truly unique stuff that we might not have done on our own. I have a few subscriptions to a couple of mags that consistently have great design ideas. One of these is Phoenix Home and Garden. This one works well for me because it is southwest and desert in focus and may not work well for you. The quality of this publication in terms of usable designs and ideas is the best I've seen for me.

The second thing I use is publications and web surfing for examples of old world creations. Those old master artisans did it all, and their work has stood all the tests of design and time.

Finally, I am surprised you missed one of the best. If you get stuck on a room.........post a pix of it here and let us all take a shot at making suggestions.
You might be amazed at what will pop out of the devious minds of idle eCabbers.
regards,

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 7:30PM

Peter,
I think the problem really is that I am not crazy about spending the time necessary to design unique pieces for free to have the customer decide they don't want to do the job. I can get 20 hours plus in a single entertainment center design and that is a lot of time to waste. I am not as enthusiastic as I used to be. Take mantels for instance, in the past I never built the same one twice. I now have a nice cookie cutter mantel that I use often. One should be paid for \"Unique\".
Kerry

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Postby Brian Shannon » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 8:28PM

Kerry Fullington wrote:I now have a nice cookie cutter mantel that I use often. One should be paid for "Unique".
Kerry
I agree. The problem is that the clients seem to want "unique" for "cookie cutter" price.

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 2:13PM

Brian,
I really know that the answer to this dilemma is to charge up front for design work. This would afford me the time I need to go for \"Unique\".
Kerry

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Brian Shannon » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 4:15PM

I'm in the same boat, Kerry. I don't charge for design either.

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 7:49AM

Peter,
You said,
\"The second thing I use is publications and web surfing for examples of old world creations. Those old master artisans did it all, and their work has stood all the tests of design and time.\"

Antique pieces are where I get a lot of my instpiriation.

This is the top of a Hunt Cabinet that we have in our house. I would love to include some of these elements in a kitchen for bump outs, etc. I would love to re-create some carved elements from pieces like this. I am so tired of looking at the designs in the trade magazines and magazines like Southern Living and be able to tell which vendor every corbel, column and onlay came from.

Here is another great carving I would like to use in a pediment or something.

Kerry

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Postby Al Navas » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 4:15PM

Kerry Fullington wrote:...Antique pieces are where I get a lot of my inspiration...
Kerry Fullington wrote:...This is the top of a Hunt Cabinet that we have in our house. I would love to include some of these elements in a kitchen for bump outs, etc. I would love to re-create some carved elements from pieces like this...

And no wonder, Kerry - this piece is wonderful!

Question: WHERE did / would the craftsman get his inspiration to make THAT grand piece?

These Hunt pieces are so much sought after by collectors - OK, Kerry, fez up... You ARE a collector, right? :lol: 8) 8)

Al

Return to “Customer Images”