Thin Cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thin Cabinets

Post by Damon Nabors »

I have a contractor that I am building a set of cabinets and the home owners are involved :? , The contractor had a sheet rock Island Wall up that my cabinets had to go up against. The home owner did not like the wall and wanted to know if I could build something simple that matched the cabinets better than the sheet rock wall. They wanted something for $2k or less. This is what I came up with. It is two cabinets 4.5" wide and the depth is the length of each wall. Blind Dado construction, I placed a filler flush with the opening of the front cabinet to seal it off, then made a pie piece that makes sure they keep the proper angle. The for the face of the wall I made a puzzle joint face frame with a sheet of 1/2" plywood and then used an applied molding with some corbles. Cut it out on the router in maybe an hour total, took it to the finish room, delivered the next day in one piece (very heavy, and no driveway in yet, so we had to haul it through the mud :D ). The next door neighbor seen it and wants one for her house. Pretty quick money and was simple treating the walls as if they are cabinets.

Sorry for the Water spots on the picture, it was a very rainy day that day.
Attachments
Island Wall.jpg
Island Wall.jpg (26.3 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
island wall (2).jpg
island wall (2).jpg (171.21 KiB) Viewed 8687 times
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Thin Cabinets

Post by DanEpps »

Very good solution Damon! That gives the homeowner what they wanted without breaking the bank.
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

Looks great Damon. I have a kitchen in the shop like yours and was wondering what to do about the knee wall.

Thanks
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

lamar, I cut some access holes in the center stretchers running on the interior of the cabinet to run the wiring through. The nice thing about doing it this way, the walls are nice and straight and flat unlike using 2x4's. Those little pie pieces look strange but I used tightbond II and pocket screwed to each cabinet (used four of them) to pull the two cabinets nice and tight and got that inside joint nice and tight and this thing was pullet proof. I was afraid the seems would crack open when carrying it into the house, but it stayed together. The floor tile had already been laid around the old wall so we had to make sure it fit in the old tile cut out. I enjoyed how fast it came together. I have done quite a few of these before but never with the router. Using the blind dado's everything was nice and square and lined up perfectly.

Hey Dan, would this cabinet be considered framed or framless????? :joker:

This was also our first job on the router after we got it. I need to find the pictures after it was completed. Turned out ok for what the budget was.
Attachments
Nixon House 8.jpg
Nixon House 8.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 8611 times
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Damon Nabors wrote:Hey Dan, would this cabinet be considered framed or framless?????
Good question...how about "cabinetless"?
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Way to go Damon...finally a functional use for those puzzle joint face frames!

Looks very nice!
Mark
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I could see making wainscotting on the wall with plywood using the puzzle joint and an applied molding, put down the base board and top it off with a cap molding and viola, your done. Especially on paint grade material. The thing I enjoyed most, I didn't have to worry about making sure everything was square. With a little fine tuning you can do alot with that joint.
Damon Nabors