Walnut TV Credenza

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Walnut TV Credenza

Post by Mark Taylor »

We just participated in our "Home Builders" show recently. We wanted to show that we were capable of more than just cabinets and wanted to also create some interest in the carving aspect of the router. The following piece is what we came up with for the show. The first two days of the show we priced it @ $5696 and lowered it to $4995 for the last day of the show...which was fruitless since it was a Sunday - we didn't really have any interest that day regarding anything, it was mostly people out for a "fun sunday afternoon stroll"! We didn't sell it, however I have several very interested parties on both Friday and Saturday...after the fact, I do feel like I would have sold it at the lower price one of the other two days.

I would certainly be interested in any comments/suggestions/questions regarding feedback on pricing...The casework is 3/4" prefinished ply with adj. shelving in the center and baltic birch drawer boxes sized for DVD on the sides. The drawers are mounted on Blumotion full extension drawer guides (15" deep). We used the "whisper lift" - which BTW appears to be an excellent product for the money, for the television. The cabinet is solid black walnut with curly maple reversed-cove door & drawer panels. It was clear coated with Gemini ultra-lac conversion Lacquer. The cabinet will hold up to a 50" flat screen.

Mark
Attachments
entertainmentcenter-600.jpg
entertainmentcenter-600.jpg (260.85 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Credenza-palmtree.jpg
Credenza-palmtree.jpg (201.86 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
Credenza.jpg
Credenza.jpg (254.28 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Gregory Hairston

Re: Walnut TV Credenza

Post by Gregory Hairston »

Mark,
Any chance seeing you ecab file on this unit. I would like to make on similar for my home. Im just learning ecab and examining your file would help.

Thanks
Greg
Successful people do the things others won't
FredHirsch

Post by FredHirsch »

Mark,
Beautiful piece. I'm a bit surprised you were not able to sell for your original $5696 price in Hilton Head. Who were the show patrons? It always surprises me what will sell and what won't... Where did you get the palm carvings files? Is that in the 3D libraries or are you using artCam?
Thx
Fred
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Thanks Fred...

We were a bit surprised as well. We had a variety of people coming through the show and actually it was one of the best shows as far as attendance in the last several years. We actually did very well with the show overall - we have deposits on 2 complete bath remodels, 2 new kitchens, three strong leads on built-in entertainment centers and at least a half dozen estimates for kitchen refacing. So while I was disappointed the credenza didn't sell I really can't complain.

I do plan to add it to the design sharing program after we make a few modifications and complete the drawings and instructions for it.

As you can see from the original drawings I had used a couple of moldings from the furniture network - however when we actually cut the pieces we were a bit disappointed in the final appearance of the moldings and at the last minute cut several simpler moldings which we actually used on the piece. I plan to rework the carved moldings and refine the assembly now that we've gone through it once. Then we'll prepare a full set of construction drawings and make it available for downloads.

Regarding the palm trees - they are an ArtCam relief file we purchased from vector art 3d last year when we were building a custom library.

Mark