5 axis probing

Discuss Thermwood 5-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Matt Quarles

5 axis probing

Postby Matt Quarles » Fri, Jan 08 2010, 12:26PM

I have just been asked if there was a way to mount a probe in a model 67 5 axis thermwood, probe a series of avk holes, and then shift the trimming program for any variation that may be found in the avk hole locations. I don't know if this is possible just wanting to know if anything is out there that might be able to do something like this.

thanks
Matt Quarles
Able Manufacturing

Ryan Hochgesang

Re: 5 axis probing

Postby Ryan Hochgesang » Fri, Jan 08 2010, 2:32PM

Matt,

There are a couple of adjustment options you would have on a 5 axis machine. If your wanting to adjust the depth of tool as it cuts, you can apply a Tool call to your NC program along with G47/G46 (Length comp ON/OFF), then place a desired comp value in the LENGTH field in tool management for the specific tool being used. This will allow a global adjustment for tool length at whatever angle the machine is cutting. Another commonly used method of adjustment for a 5 axis machine would be to use the G92 code. The G92 code allows you to make desired adjusts to various cutout locations within a part. For example, the following example shows moving the "X" location of a cut out positive by .1". This would be in an absolute type program (G90):

(** Original program code **)
G0 X24.5 Y 36.00 Z-12.00 (index to cutout)

(** Updated program code **)
G0 X24.6 Y 36.00 Z-12.00 (Adjusted index to cutout)
G92 X24.5 (Original value for X)
( At this point, the absolute program would run with an adjustment of .1 in the X axis, until the program is edited or adjusted again )

I hope this helps.

Return to “Thermwood 5-Axis Machinery”