Axis 5 calibration is "creeping"

Discuss Thermwood 5-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Eric Sooy
Company Name: Black Swamp Percussion

Axis 5 calibration is "creeping"

Postby Eric Sooy » Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:34PM

We are having a problem with our Model 67. We have a program that has been used for over 10 years to cut the same exact part. However in the past 3 to 4 months, I've had to recalibrate the axis 5 because it is creeping out of tram. The only thing that is happening is that the axis 5 is creeping out of tram by a very noticeable amount. I point the router straight down at the table, and rotate axis 4 360 and can see the head of the router wobble in and out. It seems like it just happens suddenly, not incrementally. I can adjust the cap on the servo motor to bring it back to where it needs to be. The cap is not moving, the bolts on it are secure. Any idea what this might be?

I'm not sure if this is related, but when this happens we are running a program that is doing a lot of rotary helix moves around a circular part.

Matt Quarles

Re: Axis 5 calibration is "creeping"

Postby Matt Quarles » Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:00AM

Pulleys, belts, or worm gear I would say we run into this from time to time also. When this starts happening we replace all of these. We are also doing a lot of sweeping rotaries with everything we do.

Eric Sooy
Company Name: Black Swamp Percussion

Postby Eric Sooy » Tue, Oct 01 2013, 9:33AM

I'm thinking now that the belt had slipped, misaligning the marks on the cogs. I realigned the hash marks and tightened up the belt and it seems to have subsided. Thanks anyway for your response!

Matt Quarles

Postby Matt Quarles » Tue, Oct 01 2013, 10:01AM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier could have added that along time ago. :)

Return to “Thermwood 5-Axis Machinery”