Anyone ever get this error?

Discuss Thermwood 5-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Eric Sooy
Company Name: Black Swamp Percussion

Anyone ever get this error?

Postby Eric Sooy » Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:24AM

On occasion we get this screen at boot up. If we restart it starts up normally. Just in case I do have 2 backup cloned hard drives :D
20140204_080246.jpg

Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Anyone ever get this error?

Postby Dean Fehribach » Thu, Feb 27 2014, 3:30PM

Eric, there are a few potential causes for an OS/2 TRAP 0002, but the leading causes are faulty memory chips and/or faulty capacitors on the motherboard. As electrolytic capacitors age, they can become less effective or defective and start to leak. Once this happens, it's all she wrote.

Open the control cabinet and peer at the computer's motherboard with a flashlight looking for swollen or leaking capacitors (see attached image), especially around the central processing unit and memory sockets. If you see any, then the motherboard needs replaced.

You can also try swapping out the memory cards with identical type and speed to see if the problem disappears.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
leaking-capacitors.jpg
leaking-capacitors.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 17374 times
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Postby jason galbraith » Thu, Feb 27 2014, 8:38PM

We too have had errors pop up on start up ( and more ). Turned out to be a dicky power supply. I'm sure Dean's got this one covered with his diagnosis, but a faulty PSU can do some really weird things to your computer.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au

Eric Sooy
Company Name: Black Swamp Percussion

Postby Eric Sooy » Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:14AM

Thanks for the info. Related to the motherboard, the disc battery that is on the motherboard - I've never replaced it and this machine is almost 15 years old now. If I take out that battery do the bios settings get erased? It is safe to just pop out the old and put in the new?

Return to “Thermwood 5-Axis Machinery”