Subcontract drawings

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Subcontract drawings

Post by Neville Bastian »

Not sure if this the correct forum for this but I am thinking about employing a second person to do Ecabinet drawings and rough quotes, that I just fine tune. Then I thought things could go up and down economy wise and I'd be stuck with a full time employee with not much to do.
Do you think it would work having a sub contract system where the drawing job is paid based on complexity? Maybe this could be a percentage of the rough quote estimate?

The other issue is working in frameless and then using our material list?

If in anyone has suggestions how this could work I would then put it out there on the main Ecabinets forum, if OK with the moderators.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Re: Subcontract drawings

Post by Rob Davis »

Neville, seems to me that there might be some current members of eCabs that might be interested in doing this contract work for you. With electronic files, email, etc, you could send the member the info from sketches and layouts and your data for materials you prefer, etc and then they could do the drawings for you and email the result. If you like them, keep using them. And with you being across the globe from the US for example, it might happen overnight to you depending on where your source is located. How they would price it would be between you and them - hourly rate, by job, by unit. Custom drawing we do is hourly or by the box and stick of trim. With the economy being what it is, some might have capacity to do drawings for you and you could try it out without having to train anyone on eCabs. Just ask for a PM if anyone is interested and see what responses you get. Ask for an electronic sample of their work too.
Just a thought.
Karin Sasse

Post by Karin Sasse »

Hi Neville

I'm in Adelaide and I employ 2 Cabinet makers /designers the 3 off us all like ecabs and all our work is done in ecabs, sometimes we could do with a bit extra work.
We be interested in designing for you.

thanks Fred/Karin
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Thanks Guys for your feed back.
If you would like to send me your ideas on how it would best work for you, what way you would like to be paid based on complexity of design and how we could get the files with the defaults and materials so we don't have to touch it.
Maybe you would like to send me some examples of your work so I can understand your capabilities.
It may be a situation that some cabinet shops will say we are flat out so we can't do drawings for you for 8 weeks then other shops who come down from a busy period would like a few weeks of contract work.
I guess I may save the easy stuff for my designer and out source the time consuming designs to contractors.

Just thinking aloud here

My email address is neville at classiccabinetry dot biz This might reduce spamming. Got to live in hope. or just PM me.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia