Water Based Lacquer

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Water Based Lacquer

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Can anyone tell me how ML Campbell's Water Based Aqualente stacks up against the other newer WB finishes?? TIA.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Water Based Lacquer

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Wally, I used some on a test project a few years ago. It is on stained mahogany in a vanity, and it still looks great. No problem with moisture. We still use Krystal in the shop. The rep says they are close to having something comparable to Krystal. He says its similar to precat. I would like to try it on a few more projects cause its easy to work, but thats not decision.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Wally I have used Aqualente in the past on one job and it worked great we used amazing stain under it. I would ask your rep before using any other stain as I have ben bitten in the past by using oil stains under water biased finishes.Also The water based clears and pigmentet products that are out there now are in no way to any comparison to the conversion varnish. But if you compare them to pre cat they are getting really close.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Thanks for the replies Guys!! I am going to test it tomorrow.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Wally How did your Project come out ?
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Scott Marshburn wrote:Wally How did your Project come out ?
Actually -- it sprays really quite nice. It's a little more fussy than NC Lac but enhances the grain & stain nicely and flows out to a real smooth finish. I don't know if I will switch yet but my buddy who does it for a hobby can now spray in his garage shop without his wife making him strip before he comes inside!!! LOL. It was for him that I was asking. He just got a new Fugi HVLP system and had me over to show him how to spray water dyes and the Aqualente. He was very happy as he got some good results before I left.