YouBuild status

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

YouBuild status

Postby Neville Bastian » Mon, Dec 01 2014, 7:14PM

I have been interested in how the YouBuild concept would work but there doesn't seem much information on the forum since 2012? Is the program still running and has it been sucessful? I was hoping may have expanded to Australia if it was going well.
Regards Neville
Neville Australia

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Re: YouBuild status

Postby Rob Davis » Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:32PM

Neville, You Build died a couple months ago. We signed to be a cut center but never got an order. I think the concept is sound but word never got out it existed so no customers. I think Thermwood has offered their new concept Cut Center so people could go into a store who owns a Thermwood, plug in their cabinet counts and cut them right there at the store. Kind of Do-It-Yourself on steroids. This would effectively replace YouBuild if they could talk the big box stores (or anybody who would let the public use their machine) into buying a router and having it right there so people can use it.
We liked several of the designs You Build offered. We thought it had merit.

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Postby Neville Bastian » Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:50PM

RIP
Well thats sad as I would liked to have gotten involved in that.
I wonder how it would work being web based instead of at a shop front?

There is a couple of firms here in Australia who sell mainly to cabinetmakers not retail clients who have a online cabinet ordering system the same as youbuild. The difference is they focus on smaller shops buying in their components via the web site which is set up so it looks like the shopfront of the cnc owner cabinetmaker with his name and details. Its up to the cabinetmaker to promote this to his catchment area which might be his own state or 500 miles from his location. Where it becomes interesting is the upkeep of the site, the hosting of the site and the money collection is done by the web site owner. In return they take 3 or 4 %. This seems to work as the cabinetmaker gets the orders in machine code set up for his cnc so minimal input. He has been paid before cutting. The small cabinetmaker has it made as well as he gets the program use for free as its web based with a password given by the CNC shop, The program does his quotes for him which are free and also in a format that has his name and logo attached. He has parametres where he just loads in his markup, assembly time, install time, accessories etc. If he wins the bid he can simple fine tune the cabinet sizes, get a amended quote then submit his order with payment.
The CNC shop does have to buy a postprocessor from the web site which I think is about $1500.00

I believe the other spinoff is the cnc cabinet shops are finding the batch ordering is a quick way of producing their own cabinets so have been putting aside their own design software.

Could this be something that Thermwood could make money from themselves? Could there be a two tier arrangement where they offer a lower commision rate to Thermwood owners than say a Italian cnc machine owner?
If interested PM me and I will give you the links to the Australian web sites.

Regards Neville
Neville Australia

Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Postby Josh Rayburn » Fri, Dec 12 2014, 7:48AM

Hi Neville,
I'd like to take a look at those web links.
All the best,
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570

Return to “Lounge”