Furniture plant explosion in Jasper

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Furniture plant explosion in Jasper

Post by DanEpps »

The furniture plant explosion in Jasper wasn't the plant Thermwood operates is it? I just saw the news break on the internet and was concerned.

My thoughts and prayers are with those involved in the explosion.
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Furniture plant explosion in Jasper

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Nope. Wasn't us. We are located in Dale, IN....about 20-30 mins. away from Jasper. I heard it was some sort of chemical explosion.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

That's good to hear. I knew Jasper was about 15 miles from Dale and the bulletin didn't list a name for the company.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dan,

Here is an article on the explosion if you haven't seen it yet.

INDIANA FURNITURE EXPLOSION
January 09, 2009 - An explosion at Indiana Furniture Flat Line Assembly Plant early Friday morning sends six people to the hospital. Central dispatch received the first call at 7:19AM on the report of an explosion. According to Indiana Furniture President Rich Slayton a panel got stuck in the machine, caused a small spark, and ultimately traveled to the dust collecting system and exploded. The explosion occurred on the Northeast corner of the machine room and blew out everything west, which includes the finishing room. According to Slayton, there were approximately 60 people working at the time of the explosion. The amount of damage is undetermined at this time. Slayton said even parts of the building that werent affected by the explosion, received damage due to the water sprinklers setting off. Jasper Fire Chief Kenny Hochesang says two people were taken by personal vehicle to Jasper Memorial Hospital for minor lacerations, with one having a chipped tooth. Four people were taken by ambulance to Memorial Hospital for precautionary measures concerning the chemical acetone. When asked about how long clean up could take, Hochesang says "quite some time". Slayton says this is the first time anything like this has happened and the building has been there since the mid 90's. Slayton also mentioned workers will go work at the other area plants so they will not miss work. Many different officials are on the scene including the Health Department, Utility Department, IDEM, State Police, Jasper City Police, and Jasper Fire Department.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Sad news. I hope they can get back to work in soon.

As nice as a big central dust collector is, episodes like this reinforce my opinion that each machine (or two) should have a small dedicated collector, that way the whole building isn't a time-bomb.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12