There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Post by Kerry Fullington »

This has nothing to do with anything. It is just a story I happened to remember tonight.

During the early 80's I managed a lumber yard for a few years. The owner who was still very active in the business hired a high school kid to paint the lumber bins. This was an old yard that still had the two story shed type bins. The kid had set up an extension ladder to paint the overhang which was about twenty feet high. I happened to look out the door to see him get started. He opened a full gallon of paint and instead of getting a pail to put some paint in and carry it up the ladder he sat the gallon can on the ground, dipped his brush in the paint then climbed to the top of the ladder brushed two or three strokes then back down the ladder to dip the brush again. I couldn't believe it and soon had everyone in the store watching out the windows. This went on for thirty minutes or so before the owner went out and showed the kid a better way to skin his cat.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Post by DanEpps »

Smart kid...probably being paid by the hour. Not only that but it kept him from doing what I did once.

When I was in the Navy, we moved into new office spaces on base. The building was formerly a warehouse and had a very high ceiling--about 25 feet. I was "volunteered" to paint the trim around all of the windows (musta been 100 of them) and given a brush, 12 foot step ladder and 5 gallons of paint.

Everything went fine until I put one of the front legs of the ladder so that it sat on the edge of the rubber baseboard. I didn't see what I'd done, grabbed my paint and brush and climbed to the top of the ladder. I dipped my brush into the paint (about 3 gallons by now) and reached out to paint the molding across the top of the window. The ladder started leaning, I overcorrected and down I came...paint and all! Luckily, I wasn't hurt but I sure had a huge mess to clean up.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Post by Michael S Murray »

well ya heard about the polish fella who got hired by the highway department to paint the yellow lines, first day he did alright, second day he did not do so well, third day he just did not get much done at all.Got called into the supers office for a meeting as to why he wasnt getting much paint on the road- he said the bucket was getting farther away everyday....
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com