Your Oppion

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Re: Your Oppion

Post by Gary Puckett »

Dan STOP I can't even imagine having back to back jobs :shock:

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

I think what you are proposing is very possible. It will just take a little time to find the right people to work with to build your projects.
You mite even consider a 2 step operation where you have your panel products cut on a thermwood and the assembly done by a local craftsman. And you could even go one step farther and have another local person apply the finish . It only takes a few minutes to determine if the quality of work is up to your standards and if not they don't get paid . And if push comes to shove you can always step in and take over the project and keep your client happy . After all that is the name of the game keep the job rolling and keep the client happy .
I have 35 years in the trade. So I have been through this before. If you pull off the job to build the cabinets the client will be pissed off because they no longer see your smiling face every day.
You are on the right track stay on the job and Delegate
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Gary,
I don't do remodeling, but let me offer a suggestion on one point you made. This has to do with long cabinet delivery times and the customer getting antsy while waiting for them to be built. Maybe this doesn't come up with you doing remodeling so much but here goes anyway........
I am a one man shop, and do lots of custom hand-built work. That takes a lot of time. What I do is take digital photos of the work being done and once a week or so send them via e-mail to the customer so he can see his project being built. This doesn't take much time, documents the construction for my future reference (add-ons, similar projects, etc.) and I never get complaints about construction time. In addition, I make sure I have included the delivery date (with generous allowances for time to construct) in my contract. I hope this helps. Quality work takes time to build.
regards,
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I agree with Peter's statement. The main thing is to give a realistic delivery time and if you fun a little short on time, you may have to burn some midnight oil. I know I have pulled a few allnighters just to hit deadlines before.
Damon Nabors