all guitar players past and present

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: all guitar players past and present

Post by DanEpps »

Lets not forget Andres Segovia while we're talking about great guitatists.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dan,

Most of us on this forum are much too young to know Segovia. :D
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I had the pleasure of seeing Stanley Jordan many years ago when he was pretty much unknown. In fact, the showbill listed him as "...and introducing Stanley Jordan."

It was in the old Kool Jazz Fest series and was in Norfolk Virginia when I was in the Navy. There were a number of great artists at that show (Ray Charles, a very young Wynton Marsalis and Sarah Vaughn) but Stanley really wowed the audience.

Sarah Vaughn had fallen on stage the night before and broke her hip, so she wasn't there. She was replaced with a last-minute substitute--Roberta Flack!

Ray Charles didn't take the stage until almost midnight and his volume was so low that you could barely hear him. I would never have believed it, but he actually got booed because of it.

Stanley's style of playing really impressed everyone. It was if he were playing two or three different guitars simultaneously.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Dan,

Most of us on this forum are much too young to know Segovia. :D
And you're saying ??? :joker: Jeez, he was only 94 when he died back in 1987. :joker:

He was undoubtably one of the best guitarists (classical) of all time--the Itzak Perlman of guitar.

While we are talking about guitar greats, some of my other favorites for the "all-time" honors (in no particular order):

Mark Knopfler
Chet Atkins
Eric Clapton
Roy Clark (yeah, Roy Clark and not just guitar--ANYTHING with strings on it)
Duane Allman
Keith Richards (I've never seen him play the same guitar twice during a concert)
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I've always thought Lindsey Buckingham never got the attention (as a guitarist) he deserved. Overshadowed by Stevie Nicks I guess.

Hey Dan, I bet you've heard the Knopfler & Atkins album haven't you? Great stuff.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Just to digress a bit.Can someone tell me how you add a link on your post like Kerry did with that link to the 165k martin? :oops: When I add one to an email I just cut and paste .Is it something to do with that URL button ??? (and what about Roy Buchanan as a great guitarist !)
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Yup, its got something to do with that URL button.

Take a look at the two URLs in this image. The first will show simply as the URL while the second will show as "This link here." That is done by replacing the ] after URL with = then moving the removed ] to the end of the URL string (before the end URL tag) and entering the text you want displayed betweed ] and [.
links.jpg
links.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 11444 times
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

can you cut and paste the site address or do you have to type it in? geez I'm getting lazy Dan guess I should just try it but hey thats what you old wizards are here for right? :joker:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You can key it in if you want Al, but I'm cuttin' and pastin'! :joker:
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'm one of the lucky ones. My dad played and after he died I inherited his '65 D28. After doing some research I found out that it would be really difficult to find a "good" used one without shelling out a lot of buckos. The finish on the guitar has crazed and I planned on refinishing it, but my brother (who is also a player) informed me in no uncertain terms that to do so would be a huge mistake. It would take a vintage instrument and devalue it considerably. In fact crazed tops are prized by many players. Just like the cabinets that we build and the clientelle we want to come beating down our door I would think that dropping some cash for a vintage instrument would be well worth it. I've played Taylors and other but I always return to mine and love its rich sound.

Good luck on your search. You'll find what you're looking for.

Right now I'm looking for a vintage bamboo fly rod. Or I may have to make one myself :D
Looking for Chromers in Wisconsin
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

David,

I still have my Granddad's South Bend 59 which is a nine foot bass weight bamboo rod. (I am guessing he bought it in the 1940's) I have let all his other rods and tackle get away through the years but still have several reels. Someday I am going to build a display case for them. They still make me teary eyed when I get them out.

If the Martin still sounds good I wouldn't worry about the crazed finish. If you have any work done on it make sure Martin does it.

Kerry
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

That's great.

My mother-in-law lives in Missoula, MT and one year for my birthday she bought me a vintage bamboo rod in its original case. I think I cried. I get it out every now and then put it together and go down to the creek just to feel it in my hands. And while I dearly love my other rods there is nothing like the feel of this one. By the way bassin' with the fly is a blast. Ordinarily I'm a trout snob, but every once in a while I'll hit some warm water somewhere and go after some bronzebacks. The fishing here in Wisconsin is great.
Looking for Chromers in Wisconsin