Paint Finish

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Paint Finish

Post by Rob Davis »

Do any of you (all of you?) use a topcoat over catalyzed painted finishes? Our paint supplier says unnnecessary but our hands and fingers say we need it to make it smooth to the touch. If you use one, what do you use and does it affect the color of the paint? Thanks in advance fo rthe answers.
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Re: Paint Finish

Post by Al dedenus »

We go straight off the gun with the paint (no clear topcoat over it).If its a complex peice that can't be taken apart to spray we retard the paint to stop blow back overspray so the whole peice stays "wet" during polishing.This ensures a smooth finish.I've had polishers that give it a coat wait a few minutes till it tacks off give it another coat and finally go over the whole job with retarder thinners to wet it down.Easy to get runs if you don't know what your doing !
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Are you using a lacquer paint?

I get my clear coat tinted to the color, spray and it comes out very smooth

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Stephen Tinkler

Post by Stephen Tinkler »

Rob what is your preperation procedure?

Stephen
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Maple cases, sanded progrssively up to 220 grit finsih sanding, use primer per paint supplier requiremetn, then sand and clean, first layer of topcoat, fine sand and clean, then 2nd layer, fine sand and clean, 3rd topcoat, no sanding. Problem is that ther are little bumps (tiny) and the insides fo the frame openings are not smooth, plus if we try to remove these really fine bumps, the finish gets scuffed and we lose the sheen. Some people use topcoat and others use wax and some nothing. Th efinish is relaly quite nice and 95 out of 100 say nothing. But we are wotrking with one of the 5 right now and we ahve been told by a finisher that we shoudl use a topcoat after sanding just to put the sheen back on. Just wondering if anyone else does that.
We are between telling the customer that we have doen this per industry specs and they are being unrealistic as to the finish (inspecting with a drop cord and a spotlight - no lie!) and trying the topcoat and seing if we can satisfy them.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

The little bumps, do they fell like dirt or orange peel? If it's orange peel then you need to use an retarder ( watch for runs). Are the bumps consistent over the entire surface? If the edges of the frames are dry this could be overspray.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

What brand of finish are you using? We use M L Campbell. When we have a problem thier sales rep come to the shop or I stop by the distributors facility where they have a complete testing and color sampling department . I like to stop in there because they have all the latest equiptment and thier man who is in charge of that area sprays all day every day and on the odd ocasion where I am wanting a third opinion i contact M L Cambells Labratory in Ontario Canada 800 364 1359. I've tried Sherwin Williams products but I can't get the tech support at the same level
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram