Rates for services

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Todd Spriggins
Company Name: Crescent City Custom Cabinets

Rates for services

Post by Todd Spriggins »

I have been approched by a client to produce carved entry doors. He will supply all the ArtCam files and designs but he wants me to produce, carve the designs, finish, apply hardware, pack and ship the doors. I've produced doors before so pricing that portion of the job isn't my problem. This particular client wants to do this on an on going basis and wants me to give him a rate for the carvings alone. I've never priced it like that and I am looking for some input from someone who has. Can someone help me?
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: Rates for services

Post by Peter Walsh »

Todd,
Clients will often ask for a price structure that falls entirely within their comfort zone. The problem is, if it is not in YOUR comfort zone, then things usually do not turn out well (at least in my opinion). If the client has been pleased with your work in the past, and it seems he must be if he wants you to work going forward, then he must only be at odds with your pricing structure. It appears the client wants to strip away items he can provide for lesser cost. If that cuts into your profit margin, then obviously that is not good for you and, and in my mind, would mean an automatic increase in the carving charges to offset lost profits on the other stuff. Since he has not had this separate pricing before, he won't really be able to determine that you have increased the carving portion of the job.
He may see that it doesn't pay to get all the other stuff from others and let you do it the old way.
I hope I have understood your dilemma.
regards,
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Todd,

I have to agree with Peter, the client seems to be wanting to take away any markup on the other stuff, but needs your talent to do the carving. So charge for the carving, be fair and charge for your time, use of your carving tools, price to resharpen, and so on.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I was told that some people have charged $450 per hour for their work on the cnc. It could be possible that by selecting the correct bits and optimising the process you can get your times down if the programs are always the same. So you run the program given and work out the cost as suggested. Once you agree to the figure you then work on how to do it quicker thus increasing your return.
It may be best to keep the client away from the Thermwood when you get the times down though as he may wish to screw down your agreed fee.

How about posting some photo's when you do the trial run.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia