Profile modler trick

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Profile modler trick

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I've been doing more work replicating old millwork over time and the shape manager in conjunction whith the part editer in ecabs along with the profile modeler on the controller is one GREAT combination. It's a money maker.

I drew up a crown molding in the shape manager that I needed to duplicate, made the tool, applied it in the part editor. From there took it to the profile moleler on the controler and as I have always done, set my tool group for the largest bit to follow the curves and the small bit to then come in to clean up the detail. I kept getting errors. After sending to thermwood, They said the profile modeler wouldn't handle it due to the sharp angles. I've done many profiles before that have worked flawlessly, so no fault to thermwood, this one was just a little odd.

Being one that doesn't take "can't be done" for an answer well, I thought about it for a while I tried something and it worked.

My solution was to apply 3 different tools, creating 3 regions, one used the 1/2" bit on the main region where the larger tool could be applied and on the other 2 used the 1/8" bit to hit just the detail areas. I'm attaching the 3 .x_t files so that you can see what I did. The detail "tools" are created from the main file by isolating (sp) the areas that need the detail.

Maybe you guys new about this, but if not, it sure does work. Saves a ton of machine time.
Beeenblossom crown1.tol
first profile applied
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times
Beeenblossom crown1.tol
first profile applied
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times
Attachments
Beeenblossom crown1.V2.tol
3rd profile applied
(8.52 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Beeenblossom crown1.V1.tol
2nd profile applied