Spindle stops on ramping in

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Stephen Tinkler

Spindle stops on ramping in

Post by Stephen Tinkler »

Hi
Has anyone had this problem!

We have just had a problem where on ramping in the spindle stops and we have to EStop the machine, we have run two programs this one and an old one before
the problem 50mm above the bed, and they ran OK, then we ran the first program again to cut but the spindle stopped again ramping in on a different part.
We have had a look at the program print out but can not see any instruction to stop the spindle?. Could the spindle have a load bearing switch on it ? just a thought.

Cheers Stephen
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Spindle stops on ramping in

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Stephen,

This is likely due to the fact that your NC program does NOT contain an "M31" shortly after the tool change, spindle ON command. The M31 needs to exist within a few lines of code after any tool change and spindle ON command. The M31 needs to be on a line of it's own. Typically the M31 is posted just after the first X, Y index move in a program. This allows the spindle to ramp up to full speed during that index move, then when control reads the M31, it will continue right on thru without pausing to check full speed. If the M31 (Check spindle for full speed) is not in a CNC program on your Thermwood, the spindle can potentially stop as your seeing.
Stephen Tinkler

Hi Ryan
Just looked on the desktop on the control and there is a box that says [ATHALIGN2 software error code1 occured MODBUS response timeout] is this helpfull.
A photo can be Emailed if nes
Thanks Stephen
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Stephen,

Have you looked into my suggestion of the M31 being in your Part program?
Stephen Tinkler

Ryan

Yes I have a M31 in the part program,I will email you the file and what was no the control screen.

Thanks Stephen
Stephen Tinkler

Hi This is the screen photo
Stephen
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 12032 times
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hello Stephen, I am a little confused on why the ath align program is up in the screen shot. That needs to be closed unless you are aligning the tool arms. Is the router spindle stopping during a cut? Does it go into emergency stop when this happens? If so, go the the plc screen and see what the error message is. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Stephen Tinkler

Carl
Yes the spindle stops and continues to plough through the job so we estop it ourselves this happened on Friday, so the error message what is in the photo the only thing we have seen,we have ran this program 50mm above the bed and that runs ok, but when running for real it stop on ramp in, so we dare not operate the machine while its like this.

Stephen
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

I would check the frequency drive display when this is happening. I want to make sure the frequency isn't dropping low when this happens. Also, what version of Thermwood software are you running? Is it Version 6? Also, when the router stops turning, turn the feed rate pot to zero so the machine stops moving and pull up the output screen and see if output #2 is checked. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Stephen Tinkler

Carl
We are running Version 6, how would I pull up the output screen.

Stephen
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hello Steven, I'm sorry i didn't add that. You press "F6" and then "F2" it should pull up the output maintenance display.
Thermwood Technician
Stephen Tinkler

Carl
After we turned the feed rate down to zero and pulled up the output screen,2 is checked and also is[ 7,47 and 48 ] while we where looking at this the spindle started to come back up to speed.
Stephen
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

ok, I would look at the display on the frequency drive to see what the frequency is. I would like to know the numbers it is showing and if they are fluctuating as this is happening. That will determine if it could be losing phase on the armature or if it is something in the control. What is the router speed you are running in this program?
Thermwood Technician
Stephen Tinkler

Carl
No fluctuating, But snapped the 1/2 in tool in half, hope that’s all that broke!
spindle speed at 18000
Stephen
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

I would check the motor plug connection and make sure you don't have an armature pin coming out or just a bad connection. Also, go into the cabinet and check the wiring connections coming out of the drive and down to the line reactor and make sure they are a ll tight. It is possible the frequency drive is going bad.
Thermwood Technician