Dado Overlap issue

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeff Sallows

Dado Overlap issue

Post by Jeff Sallows »

Good morning all... I am currently doing a job that specs recessed metal pilaster strips for adjustable shelving units. The problem I am having is that the pocket for the pilaster will never overlap into the opening of the blind dado. As a result I end up with a little radius corner that needs to be trimmed up (not the end of the world) but I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and has corrected it somehow?? I am using the 1/4" tool for the smallest pocket tool. The pocket for the pilaster is 1/8" deep, and the blind dado is 3/8" deep. If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff Sallows
Attachments
URDR_750.hsf
(470.02 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
sorry for the terrible cell phone pics.
sorry for the terrible cell phone pics.
Dad03.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
Dado2.jpg
Dado2.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Re: Dado Overlap issue

Post by Rob Davis »

Jeff, we see the same thing. And actually the machine considers the pocket above the dado a different pocket than the one below so if any changes are made to the track pocket, it won't change the one above the dado. We do as you do and trim the rounded corners off and make the clean up of the pocket with a small tool so the radius is small. We thought it could go "out the top" as one pocket but it breaks the pocket at the blind dado.
Once we changed the pocket location and when we machined it the one above the dado was offset to the one below the dado as it didn't change - funny but wierd.
Jeff Sallows

Post by Jeff Sallows »

Rob I was on the same page as you, I thought that if I took the pocket right through the top and bottom it would work, but no such luck. I did find it funny that is was pocketing at the bottom side of the blind dado. Hmm well I guess we will continue to trim them up by hand. Unless Thermwood has a solution.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

At this time, there is no solution to get around what is happening with the dados that you've created in the part editor being at two different depths. If these two crossing pockets were at the same depth, you would not get the filleted areas left behind. Do to the fact the pocketed areas are at two different depths, the software sees the step and creates each area as a pocket, thus you get the fillets left behind.
Jeff Sallows

Post by Jeff Sallows »

Ok, thanks for your help Ryan. Maybe this could be addressed in a later version of control nest.

Thanks, Jeff
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

This is definetly on the list for Engineering to consider.

Thanks for the input!