Max Feed Speed

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Max Feed Speed

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey hows it going?

Ive got a cabinet shop 40 and im wondering what the max feed speed i can run it is.

Cheers

Thom Davies
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Max Feed Speed

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Thom,

If you email me your actual machine serial number, I can track down what your max feed speed is. It is likely around the 1500 IPM rate. However, cutting at this feed speed would not likely be something you'd want to do. Feed speed is going to depend on type of material your wanting to cut and Spindle speed. There are chip load calculators out there on-line that can help give you a general starting Feed Speed for your application, then you can fine tune from there.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

For experimental purposes Set the feed rate at 1000 inches per minute or the equilivent metric setting. Then you can use the feed control knod on your control panel to manually adjust the feed rate from 0 thru 1200 inches per minute. Then you start adjusting the speed up until one of the folling happens
( 1) you break the bit
(2) the quality of cut starts to decline
(3) the part comes lose from the table
To look at it from another perspective. What is the rapid traverse fed rate that is automatically inserted after the G00 command? That is your true max feed rate.
But in general I consider 1200 IPM as my max setting .
Look at it like a car do you really want to start with the petal to the floor and then slam on the brakes as hard as you can at every corner ? If you do the car will have a short life and be prone to having increased wear and tear .

Another way to determine these max rates is to manually write a few lines of code using G00 and G01 commands and do not write a feed rate and then run the program and watch the control screen . My CS45 will jump up to about 1680 inches per minute

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion and may not be intirely correct
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Don't forget that the bit makes a HUGE difference and what material you are using. A Vortex "Tornado" can cut like butter at 1000 to 1200+ IPM on straight cuts but do a alot of shorts runs with arcs and keep the fire extinguisher handy because it will burn up. Going from a 2 flute to 3 or 4 flute also makes a difference. Are you using a 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" bit? Chip-breakers, low helix, solid carbide, PCD, compression, spiral or straight bits are also to be taken into consideration depending on your material. So Thom be a little more specific if you need more specific info. Otherwise follow Will's :joker:
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1