Flip op / label problem!

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Flip op / label problem!

Post by Terry Davis »

We had our typewriter installed the other day along with new THM software ver. 7.4.5.10, the problem is when we run a job we no longer have the option to select "F" for flip ops. Many times it takes all day to cut a job and the next moring we will restart the job and run the flip ops. The option to select a sheet # is there. Also when trying to print the flip op labels I'm getting nothing but blank labels. The only label file that will print is the new one for "recuts" I don't even know what that is for. I just upgraded the control nesting from 5.51 to 5.53 that did not help. As of now the we are at a standstill with this job until this corrected (we need these flip-ops run)!
Thank you,
Terry Davis ,
Penn Laminates (724)925-9100
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Flip op / label problem!

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Terry,

As per our phone conversation, please send (email: program@thermwood.com) me your EXPORT so I can review your actual files. I've been able to create sample flip op part on this end and "F" and "E" is written in CNC, so I would like to review your information closer.

Thanks!
Ryan Hochgesang

Terry,

I've reviewed your EXPORT file and have found that you have "Cut Flip Ops First" option checked in your Control Nesting Settings. This is located in Control Nesting, SETTINGS, FLIP OPS FIRST, uncheck CUT FLIP OPERATIONS FIRST EACH SHEET. This will also allow labels for flip op to print.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Ryan
How is Cut flip operations first suppose to work ?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Ryan Hochgesang

Will,

The following is also located in our Control Nesting, on-line manual:

The Flip Ops First option offers the ability to cut all back side operations (flip ops) on the sheet before cutting the parts. The sheet is loaded with the back side up. The machine will cut all back side operations, including a 'sheet trim' pass if selected, then prompt for the sheet to be flipped. The flip direction required is along the width of the material. Then the rest of the operations are performed.

If the Trim Sheet option is selected there are 3 options for trimming to insure the sheet is square. The amount to trim is applied to the material based on the size that was entered for the sheet. The edge of the sheet to be trimmed is the edge that is going to be put against the pins when the sheet is flipped. The amount to be trimmed can be 0" to a value that does not result in cutting into the nested parts. If a value entered is too large a warning will be displayed with Nesting is performed.

2 Edges trimming will run the length and width of the sheet. A lead in amount can be set to insure the long edge of the sheet is fully trimmed.

3 Edges trimming will run the same 2 edges as the 2 Edges trimming but also cut the 3rd edge. This is useful for a sheet of material that is much larger than the material size that is input.

Pin Area Only trimming will trim only the areas designated for the pins. You must insure the distance to the pins from the fence are input in this dialog as well as a proper Machining Width for pin clearance. Pin 1 is the pin closest to the fence then Pin 2 is the next closest and Pin 3 is the furthest from the fence. Not all machines have 6 pins. This is why you must insure that the values are set properly for your configuration.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Ran a small job today that had 2 flip ops and when it came time to scan the bar codes they are still not being accepted,they appear breifly in the box and then dissappear and the box stays up waiting for input. So I re-nested an printed labels again, wrote CNC and pressed the green button hoping to get the "F" for flip ops option but the machine just wanted to cut the whole job again.
Ryan Hochgesang

Terry,

Please send supporting files for our review, ie: EXPORT, .hsf or esa....

Thanks!
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Ryan, sent the files to your email.
Terry
Ryan Hochgesang

Terry,

We're currently looking further into the situation of getting the Flip operation option depending on all cab parts being nested vs. unchecking the doors and back... However, we have tested the bar code scanner here to find the input works. Also, typing in the bar code info. also works as long as CAPS lock is ON. I would like for you to make sure you caps lock is ON to try entering info via. keyboard first. If this works, we then need to see if your scanner is working properly. To test this, you can simply open a Notepad text file, then scan in your label for flip op and the info should write into the text file. Let me know once you've had a chance to check these things.

Thanks!
Ryan Hochgesang

Terry,

Daniel has informed me that he is going to test your actual CNC code here once he receives it, to see if he can find what could be happening with your scanning process, since we can not duplicate the issue here when we write CNC code. As we've mentioned, you will need to have the CAPS Lock ON if you choose to use keyboard to enter flip ops.

Regarding the scenario of not getting prompted to perform Flip OPS ("F") when you choose not to nest the Back and Doors of cabinet, this situation is occurring due to the fact that there are not multiple sheets of material in the Nest. When there is only one sheet nested and if you decide to cut parts, then return at a later time to cut flip operations, you will need load your NC program, NC RESET your control, then arrow key or page down to section in NC program that reads: "BEGINNING OF FLIP OPERATIONS" and press the START button to execute your flip ops.

We've documented this scenario (one sheet of parts containing flip ops and wanting to return later for cutting of flip ops) and are going to revise Control Nesting in the future, so that regardless of number of sheets in a nest, the option to run flip ops will be asked at beginning of program when STARTED.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

After working with Terry on this we found that you need to make sure that if you are choosing flip operations you need to make sure that you type in a capital F. A lowercase f will not work. We also found that the flip operations are being scanned correctly but CN is outputting an invalid line of code that is causing a syntax error. This line of code is relative to the "use wasteboard for flip ops" setting in CN's settings area. If he scrolls down 3 or 4 lines to the line [CLSMSG] and restarts, then everything works correctly. This error in the code output had been brought to the attention of the software enfgineers and will be corrected in future releases.

Just thought I would put the finding on here for anyone following this post.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Ver 5.54 didn't fix the problem, it moved the error to another line" If[(askwasteboard=1)and(msgboxansw=2)]then M81L999" then I get program error "Invalid afl expression" the workaround is close to the last time, hit enter, move down 3 lines, press start button, answer yes, hit enter and the flip op cuts.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

If your code snippet is correct...

Code: Select all

If [(askwasteboard=1) and (msgboxansw=2)] then M81L999
Then the "and" boolean operator is the culprit. I believe it should be an "&" symbol.

Code: Select all

If [(askwasteboard=1) & (msgboxansw=2)] then M81L999
This would have to be an internal Control Nesting fix.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Yes it has "and" between, I checked it again.
Ryan Hochgesang

This issue has been listed and will be fixed in release 5.56