Problems with switch spoil

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Problems with switch spoil

Post by DanFecteau »

I'm having problems with somthing since a while, I discussed it here last week but I want to make sure I am doing everything all right. In the M999 there are 2 switchspoil, one that is named "set switchspoil" and one named "set switchspoil2". I think the one I have to adjust is the "set switchspoil". The other day I adjust the set switch spoiled2 by error...can this affect anything, if so what should I do ?
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Problems with switch spoil

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Dan,

Adjusting "switchspoil2" should NOT affect anything on your machine. This is a variable used for machines that contain dual tables having an auto measuring switch on each table to allow measuring of a Z and W head seperately.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Ok, then what might be the reason that can explain why I have to adjust the switch spoil so often ?? I say this because when I fly cut the wasteboard, let's say I ask to take off 0.005, I have to adjust the wasterboard as I would have took off 0.03 ???? So I think I have to adjust the set switch spoil again ???
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Dan,

After you surface your spoilboard you are running through the sensor setup, correct? If so, the last few steps are very important. After the switchspoil variable is set, you need to verify that it is correct by measuring the tool again and then comparing the new daylight to what you measured manually in the earlier steps. If these are not the same, then you need to adjust the switchspoil variable until they are. Doing these verifying steps are very important. Once you verify it, then you can remeasure all of the remaining tools. It is also important that you measure the wasteboard correctly after this has been done and then enter the correct value in the settings area of CN. If everything is done correctly, you will not have to mess with the switchspoil variable at all when surfacing the wasteboard. It should only be done when the spoilboard is surfaced.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Ok, than, if I want to start over, but don't change the spoilboard, where should I start, measure the thickness of the spoilboard, enter this thickness, after set the switchspoil following the steps, verify everything than add the wasteboard ? Last week I took off the wasteboard and calculate the set switch spoil and added a brand new wasteboard but did'nt took the spoilboard thickness, was it supposed to be ok ? When I verify wath I took and the daylight it was ok.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

It appears that you are totaly lost on the proper method of setting up your spoil board. Do you have your training manual? The proper method to set your switchspoil is in that book.
it looks like thermwood is closed for today. if you want to call me I will talk you through it 810 310 1111
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

No I'm not, just did it again and all was ok. If I go manually on the spoilbaord I get 7.906 and if I go with the tool manager I get 8.184, so switch spoil has to be set at 0.278, which means that the sensor is over the table by this value. But when I add my wasteboard (app. 0.240") over the spoilboard and also adjust the wasteboard value to 0.240" and than I try to do a test to see if everything is ok flycutting the wasteboard 0.005", it looks like it's taking of 0.06" !!!! Why is that ?

Thanks for your help !
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Dan,

I'm not sure what flycut program your using or if you've created your own possibly, eitherway, you can look at the ABSOLUTE value for Z axis on the upper right hand of your TWD screen and use this to compare the Z value at the time you are actually flycutting to the value you get by manually touching the spoilboard prior to cutting.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

When I'm runnign the X-Surf program I can't see any ABSOLUTE value anywhere....I can see the daylight wich is 7.904 compared to 7.906, that's good... Is the thickness of the spoilboard wich was set some time ago, could be a factor or it does not matter if my switch spoil is set ?
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Dan,

After you measure the tool manually, you need to set your switchspoil value to 0.000 and then measure the tool with the sensor. This will give you a daylight value that is the distance from home to just the sensor. You can then take the difference of these two values and use this as your switchspoil. Once you have installed this value into the switchspoil variable, remeasure the same tool with the sensor to make sure the new daylight is the same as what you manually measured. If it is not, you will need to adjust the switchspoil value until it is. Once they are the same, you can measure all of your other tools.

What type of surfacing bit are you using and what are the dimensions on it? Are you measuring it with the sensor or manually measuring it? What are you using for a flycut program? We need more information about what you are doing so that we can get this resolved. Thanks.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

After you measure the tool manually, you need to set your switchspoil value to 0.000 and then measure the tool with the sensor. This will give you a daylight value that is the distance from home to just the sensor. You can then take the difference of these two values and use this as your switchspoil. Once you have installed this value into the switchspoil variable, remeasure the same tool with the sensor to make sure the new daylight is the same as what you manually measured. If it is not, you will need to adjust the switchspoil value until it is. Once they are the same, you can measure all of your other tools.

I'm ok with all this.

What type of surfacing bit are you using and what are the dimensions on it?

It's the tool we bought with the machine, app. 2 3/4" inc diameter.

Are you measuring it with the sensor or manually measuring it?

With the sensor. Just measured it again and gave me 7.898 instead of manually 7.906, small difference but not enough to make that much of a difference.

What are you using for a flycut program?

X-surf21.nc3 from CNC Automation.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

I would suggest you contact cnc automation because they may have variables and values, or processes, in their flycut program that we are unaware of.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Have you taken the switch apart and clean underneath?
I always blow the switch off before measuring tools and some times I pull the foam gasket off and blow underneath. If you take the switch apart mark the location before disasembly

also when I measure my tool I use .0100 increment to touch off then I back it off one click and switch to .001 increment and touch off again

When I first started I also added the wasteboard thickness to my spoil board ,that meant that every time I made an adjustment I had to adjust my switch spoil .

I no longer do that.
I set my waste board or handling board thickness in control nesting /settings and seldom touch my spoil board
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram