anyone using a Solid state drive yet???

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

anyone using a Solid state drive yet???

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Just wondering if anyone has made the leap yet. Here is a 40 GB one from Tigerdirect. They are suppose to be alot faster and no moving parts.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... tigeremail

thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Re: anyone using a Solid state drive yet???

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I don't mess with something as important as the CNC. If something is working fine don't fix it.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Its not messing with it when you are on your 3rd HD. Bought my 2nd Thermwood at an auction several years ago and immediately put a new (HD) one in from Thermwood so I could start fresh. That one started to slow down a lot and had a sector error coming up and my Brother, who is an IT guy, said it is getting ready to crash and sure enough it did. Hard to find a 20 gig drive locally on a friday afternoon. 320gig was the smallest at Fry's. Win 2K only allows like 137gig. But I had some old PC's that I picked up at a NASA auction and Wooo Hooo it had a 30 gig in it and We did a Norton ghost. Took a long time but it worked. Then reloaded THM from restore disk. But it still takes a while to boot-up and I hear that a SSD will boot MUCH FASTER and are less likely to crash because of no moving parts. So since I am still on THM 5.05 running W2K I am trying to make some cost effective improvements. Even though I would love to upgrade to Gen 2, it's hard to justify $16K+- plus installation for both machines. When we get back up to 2006-2007 order levels then I might be able to. Otherwise running lean, mean and green right now.

Dean have you looked at these yet?

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

You are right Michael. We need to mention what machines we are running. I don't think I will be getting out of memory any time soon. We bought both our machines 3 years ago and 1 1/2 ago so they are fairly new. Lots of disk space and processor is probably faster than on your.

One think I likes about this post though is the Norton Ghost experience. I will do it on both our machines just in case any of the hards decides to crash.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I did the same thing a year ago with ghosting the hard drive. Those are some tense moments watching the computer power up and making sure everything is working. But it did and I was fortunate that my IT guy had a pile of old hard drives. I wonder what all is different in the gen2 controllers other than newer computer and software. I'm looking at upfiting one of my desktops components into the controller so I can use the Quick Cut feature. Guess I'll call the TWD guys on that.

Forrest