Cutting Solid Core Bamboo sheet

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dave Poulin
Company Name: Silver Creek Cabinetry

Cutting Solid Core Bamboo sheet

Post by Dave Poulin »

As anybody have any experience with cutting solid core bamboo sheet. Done a few jobs now cutting Bamboo slab doors, figured out that a convetional cut did a better job than a climb cut. But I'm still getting blowout on one corner. Tried only with the compression bit, taking 1/4" deep cutting, and varying speed along the way, spindle speed is still at 18000 rpm. Should be getting a spiral rougher early next week, maybe this will be better. we will have to see.

But if you guys have any input on this, it will be appreciated, specially with 4 jobs on deck for bamboo I need this problem ironed out soon.

Thanks in advance.
David Poulin
Shop Manager
http://www.cabinetworksplus.com
jerry johnson

Re: Cutting Solid Core Bamboo sheet

Post by jerry johnson »

Hi, Dave. I recently cut a large job with bamboo slab doors and experienced no problems. The bamboo was three ply and 19mm thick. I used a 1/2" compression bit and made all the cuts in one pass. The bamboo is hard so I did slow down the feed rates about 25%. 8)
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Hey Jerry
Glad to see you are still here. I hope you still have your machine.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Dave Poulin
Company Name: Silver Creek Cabinetry

Post by Dave Poulin »

Thanks Jerry,

Will have to play again with the full pass. I got one tool supplier telling me to use a a downcut spiral rougher and another supplier is telling me that is cuctomer had great sucess with the compression bit. do realize that we need a fresh cutter, even on my sliding saw I always used a fresh set of blades.

Pretty sure that I had issues with my initial trials in cutting in one full pass, I now realize my posible problem with taking 1/4" cut with the compression bit as at this point I'm taking the first cut of my material on the upcut spiral part of the bit, this could be creating my blowout right there.

The material used is also the same 3/4" 3 ply bamboo plywood that Jerry was refering to. Unbelivable how quickly this product is becoming more and more on demand, since introducing it last year we have done quite a few jobs with it, and recently just had 5 jobs in a row with bambo, only 1 has been cut on the cnc so far, monday will be the second one.

Jerry what kind of cut did you use, climb or conventional?

Thanks again
David Poulin
Shop Manager
http://www.cabinetworksplus.com
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Dave, I used a conventional cut.

Will, I had to close my shop about nine months ago due to lack of work and lost my router. I was fortunate to be offered a job with a company here locally that does extreemley high end stuff as well as entry doors. The router I use is of a different make than Thermwood and I have to say I like the Thermwood better. I am also using a different cabinet design software than eCabinets which has some advantages but also some disadvantages. The cool thing is I am using cad cam software that I never used before and the posibilities that open up for the machine are limited only by my imagination. I am blessed to have a job!!

Hope all things are well with you.

Jerry 8)