Label Layout - What do the Symbols do?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

barry gill
Company Name: Abes Benchtops

Label Layout - What do the Symbols do?

Post by barry gill »

we have noticed that there are a few new label formats and some of them include a "symbol" which seems to be pulled from the C:\Rolling Nest\Labels\Symbols library.

whilst they seem uncannily similar to Egyptian heiroglyphics, they must serve some purpose.
What are the symbols there for?
do I need a Rosetta stone?

Is there any documentation on this anywhere? cant seem to find any.

BG
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: Label Layout - What do the Symbols do?

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

The symbols are a visual way to help seperate parts for each cabinet. Not all customers have the ability to print the labels with the color coding so symbols were added for these customers. Each cabinet is assigned a symbol and the labels for all of the parts of that cabinet have that symbol on them. The symbols themselves mean nothing.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Daniel,
What colour printers that print these colour labels do Thermwood recommend? Do they sit into the standard label printer holder or do you have it sitting external?
Thanks

Neville
Neville Australia
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Any color printer should work as long as you load the supporting drivers.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

I was looking through some older you tube videos that was highlighting the color coding for easy picking. I think keeping with the current label printer mono color suits us better. I didn't really take in the symbols idea at the time. Is there any label examples of this being used. Not sure if its already shown on the site so could just need a link or maybe some users could email me a example on what they do and their thoughts on its advantages.
I think my email is shown in my profile but if not PM me and I will let you know.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Neville,

I am new to cutting with a router but have been using labels from eCabinets for years. The sorting symbols (which are not available in eCabinets) are fantastic, even for me as a one man shop. We recently cut a job of about 38 sheets for my shop and I just placed labels on the parts and stacked them flat right off the router. When I got the parts back to my shop, these labels made sorting a breeze. I just matched all the colors and symbols together as I pulled them off the truck. No thinking involved. No need to know what cabinet it is. red diamond goes with red diamond. Great time saver.

The assembly marks were a stroke of genius also.
Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Kerry, Thanks for the reply. The main reason I haven't taken on the color printing is that you have to use a injet printer. The labels are in sheets and are a higher value per sticker than those in the Std thermwood label printer. Also wouldn't there be a dust problem with the printer as it would have to be out in the open? If you print the labels it would sometimess have half a sheet with labels blank. Are my concerns unfounded?
What printer brand do use and what are the labels costing out at?

The concept appeals to me and I can see the advantage. I am paying close to 10 cents a sticker with my current size of approx 104mm by 64mm. Looking at downsizing sticker size to reduce the cost. Hoping I can squeeze all my info on to that size.
Thanks again.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Neville...
We use the LabelCity.com removable 3.5" x 1.125" labels. 520 for $16.90 US, 3.33 cents per label. Less for the harder to remove version of the same size.

I have used both the color and thermal labels. The color symbols stand out more and allow easier separation of parts. That said, we have gone back to the DYMO thermal printer. The inkjet labels dissolve with water, there is little or no waste with the thermal rolls and I got tired of peeling the sheet labels off the printer parts. Seems labels that remove easily from parts, also remove easily from the sheet in the printer.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Neville,

When we set Keith's machine up I just networked the control to his office color laser printer and we print labels in the office. This is a little inconvenient but eliminates the dust problem. We are using the 1.33" X 4" labels and if you buy in bulk (14,000 labels)from OnlineLabels.comthe regular labels are less than 1 cent (.6 cents)each and the easy peel are just over 1 cent (1.13 cents)each.
If you want the printer at the machine it would just need to be in an enclosed cabinet. You can use a filtered fan to pressurize the cabinet to cool the printer and keep dust out.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Now Gary why did you have to confuse me.
I have experenced the labels coming adrift in the early computer days making my own labels for adverising in the cabinets. You know made by "Rough as guts cabinets".
Its a shame the symbols can't be replaced with a watermark symbol behind the label info so its seen quickly. Maybe Thermwood could have the football teams logo's that are well known. With the amount of teams you have in the US with college and professonal leagues it should cover a number of cabinets.

I'll see what Kerry has to say.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Neville...
A colored spot (symbol) on a black and white label stands out. We have had no problem distinguishing between the symbols on the thermal (B&W) labels. None of the shops we cut for have complained. They have mentioned that the symbols are much better than the cabinet names.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Hey Neville,

We posted at the same time above.

Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Ah posting at the same time. Neat trick.
I'll have to look into that as the sticker price looks good. Well 1/10th of the current cost does excite me.
So your not having issues with labels getting stuck in the printer machine? What brand printer and model are you using?
You haven't a sample of the labels you print so I can get a idea on the information you have on the label and layout.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Neville,

I think I have some of the printed labels at the shop. I will scan them so you can see them. They are the equivalent of the Avery 8462 label.
Keith has the Dell 1355 CN color laser and I use the Dell 2130 CN color laser. We have not had any problem with labels peeling off in the machine. (Now that Gary has brought this up it will probably start happening :D )