barb bit and joint

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: barb bit and joint

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Dan,
Just viewed the video and it looks good. I think Kerry is right about the bench. That may have been a bit off putting. I noticed Ken said wood fibres so when you do your test can you test MDF and Particleboard as well.
The other good thing about Kens demo is the day bed behind him. That has given me a idea for a afternoon nap when things get a bit much.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I made some test cuts last night and it appears to me that a fit clearance of .02" is just right by the time you get glue in. I'll be cutting a small kitchen today using this setting, I'll let you know.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Ray,

What type of material were you cutting? Plywood, MDF or particle board?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

From what I have heard, the barb joint is not going to be recommended for particle board. Has anyone tried pb yet?

Kerry
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Hi Folks, I've done some more tests and cut the small job. I'm going to settle on a .035" fit clearance. I'm cutting ply wood. It works great!!!!!!!!!!!

Occasionaly I need to clamp to tighten up a joint, but mostly just some "gentle" banging with a rubber mallet.

Here's how I decided on .035", and I think it makes sense. I measured the barb the best I could - .015". If you set the fit clearance to .03 - you will have .015" on each side which gives an barb clearance of 0. 0 clearance doesn't fit well, but the idea of the barb is to bend on the down and grab. Now add a little glue, and I think that you need a little extra, thus the .035. The parts are going together well, but I'm wondering if .04" might be better. It will be a fine line and good measurements of the material will be critical.

The boxes that I've put together have gone well and quicker than when I was clampling, or nailing. Bang them tight and put it off the bench. I've checked square and I'm running 1/32" and less, so I'm a believer!!!!!!!!!!!! Not noticably differant when I was clamping.

I can't see partical board, (melimine) working with this - but I could be wrong. Only someone running a test will tell.

When the software will let us say this individual joints will use this barb joint, it will be something to behold!!

Why would such a simple concept - escape the woodworking world until now. My hat's off the the folks at Thermwood.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

I will keep you post about particle board as soon as I get my tool wich I ordered last week because that's what we mostly use.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Got my tool !! What diameter should I set it up ? I use 0.625 material and 50% tenon wiht 0.025 tolerance.

Because when I write my cnc file I get : Barb tool size between 0.316 and 0.158 not setup in tooling .....?? I have 5.59 cn and if I take a look I can't find any place where I can set up a barb tool....
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Dan, I replied to your PM. Did it come thru?
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Yes but it's what I did but the thing is that I have eCab version 6, build 05, beta 3 and CN 5.59, is that what you have ?
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Dan, as we talked, I don't have the beta version. That's got to be where the bug a boo is coming from. Let us know how the particle board cuts.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

I did a test using mastercam and it seems to work, I had a 0.025 tolerance.