Clearance between parts with control nesting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Zach Froble

Clearance between parts with control nesting

Post by Zach Froble »

I have a job I am trying to nest 14 pieces on one sheet. I can't seem to get CN to do it. I can put it on my other software and there is more than enough room to get the parts on to one sheet. I think it must be in the part clearance settings on CN. Is there anyway to adjust this setting to a smaller value so I can get all 14 parts on one sheet. I have it set up in my other software with a .03 part clearance and all 14 pc. fit with room left over.

I am trying to set this up to run over the weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach F
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: Clearance between parts with control nesting

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

You can check "nest to edge of sheet." Don't know if that's a viable option for you.

Also, use a smaller outline tool, maybe?

There is a certain amount of material removed around the edge of a sheet, I'm not sure if it is possible to change the amount of this "collar." If so, this would be the way to go if "nest to edge of sheet" isn't a workable solution.

Perhaps the other program has a more efficient nesting algorithm, in this case anyway. Kind of hard to say without being able to see the difference between the two nests.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

If you'd like for us to take a look at your particular nest, you can email your EXPORT file to: program@thermwood.com

However, the settings that Jeremy has mentioned are the only control you will have over how tight the parts are nested together. Also, as mentioned, even if the colar is set to zero, there will still be a small percentage of material removed from the outer most edge of sheet unless you specifically check, NEST TO EDGE of sheet.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

By changing your material size in control nesting you can sometimes get the result you are looking for and the parts will still nest. Add 1/2 to 1 inch in both axis. I used this method the last time I was having problems nesting.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram