Cutting into spoil-board

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Cutting into spoil-board

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I got some reports from my operators that the machine likes to cut into the spoil-board only when cutting dovetail drawer boxes. I have no explanation why it's doing that. It does it on some parts on a sheet and not on others. Even if the parts are same size and belong to the same drawer box. Again I have not changed anything on my machine settings or tooling. I created and export and would appreciate if you can take a look. Thank you

I couldn't see anything wrong with the g code but I am no expert. Still I have two lines approximately 1/4" deep into my spoil-board.

Let me know if I can help out with more information.
Attachments
ControlNest5-59.zip
Drawer Box Double Pass Bug
(298.15 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Cutting into spoil-board

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Is it happening consistanly with a give Tool call (verify actual T call in part program, do not just judge by physical tool you see being selected)? Is this tool only used for drawer boxes? The DAYLIGHT value for T# being called could be incorrect.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

the tool that made the problem is T302 which is 1/2" compression, it does all outline cuts. The problem happens on small drawer box pieces but again only to some of them. The daylight can't be wrong because it cut all boxes just fine. It happened twice on two different jobs. I still have the program and the print sheets and the pieces that cut wrong marked on them. I can provide that one as well. I don't know why it'll cut everything else fine and mess up only on some of the small pieces. Let me know if you require more information and I'll what I can do.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Georgi,
I'm not saying this is your problem, but I had something similar happen a while ago -
The tool had actually moved out of the collet a little bit.
I checked by looking up the current daylight value, then measuring the tool again and comparing daylights.
No idea if this helps or not, just sharing :)
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

that's about the best I can do to help you sort out the problem. I pulled out the g-code generated by the machine and also the print sheets and defect parts so you can find them in the text file. You will see that there's some unnecessary passes and depths.

One the first sheet from the pdf file it's parts 7,8,9 and 10. On the second it's parts 16, 17. In the g-code you can see what's wrong. From the export you can see my tool setup as well.

Let me know if that helped.
Attachments
Drawer Box Double Pass Bug.zip
(159.58 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Ryan Hochgesang

I'll certainly have a look and get back to you.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

This probably doesn't help your situation now but I had a similar issue when we were in the beta version testing the dovetail boxes for the first time. It seems it got resolved with a new release but it has been 4 years now so my memory has faded on the fix. Maybe your working with an older box design that is the problem.

Forrest
Ryan Hochgesang

Georgie,

I've taken a look at the two cnc files you provided and see in the one program "Office Cabinet - 36x 74x 20.CNC" where there is a Z plunge to Z-.750, which would be what your seeing with cut into wasteboard or table. However, when I load your EXPORT file I do not get the .75 plunge depth as seen in the CNC code you provided. Everything is as should be......
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

I would have to test it myself and make sure it appears on a constant basis. I really have no idea why it would show on some occasions. I would let you know how it goes. I am really scared when running boxes now. I found so many problems with the betas and also released versions and now this one. Anyways let me take a deeper look...
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

I nested both jobs again and again on both machines. Nesting the parts along the "x" the "y". Nesting the drawer parts only and all parts together. I only got one error from all this. It seems to be random and I can't explain it. Meanwhile I will start nesting drawer box parts separately and we'll do a quick g code check on all outline operations. I am sorry I can't do better and give you better directions on how to recreate the error.

On the file attached you'll see the g-code generated with z value 0 on the first outline pass. The parts in all cases that created the problem were the drawer box sides. The error here is generated on parts 10, 9, 8 and 7.The final outline pass looks to be fine.
Attachments
Drawer Box Double Pass Bug 2.zip
(369.63 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

It happened again. I have reverted to CN 5.58. I am getting terribly annoyed right now. I have no explanation. Values differ as well from Z-0.75, Z-0.6875, Z0.0.

I have attached a new export and some pictures.
Attachments
Drawer Box Double Pass Bug 3.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

I think I have pinpointed the issue and have passed it on to the programmers for verification. It seems that the pieces that do not get a full outline pass are defaulting their ramp depth to the thickness of the sheet ran before the present sheet.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Thanks Daniel,

I almost though you forgot me :beer: