Barb dado plunge

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Barb dado plunge

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I've been playing around with the barb dado and wonder if it is better to have ramp in turned off for this tool. It tends to mess up about the last 3/4" of the cut.

Your thoughts, Forrest
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Barb dado plunge

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Forrest,

I would recommend a shorter value for ramp-in (.25" to .5"). There has been discussion to possibly implement the option to designate dado/rout ramp in length, in the next version of control nesting. This is for all dados and routs. A rout is any cut from pocketing or centerline.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I would like that Ryan. I have a 3/4" tool that machines for our thick backs and on some parts it ramps on some it plunges. I would appreciated it greatly if I can set it up to ramp in all the time.
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Forrest,

I am thinking about trying the bard dado. I am assuming you are using the 1/4" tool available. Can you give me some info on your settings you are running with this tool; i.e. feeds and speeds.

Thanks,

Zach F
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hey Zach,

So far I've only used it on 1/2" .47 material and have run it at 18k rpm and 600 ipm. I have had to use a 55% tenon and have gone between .025 and .030 tolerance for fit. With those settings I set my bit at .25 and run with it. To get consistent fits make sure you fly cut and have even cut thru. I have cut mostly drawer parts but have started to cut a few prototypes for a new line of face frame cabs.

Hope this helps,
Forrest